Fratris Salutem - June 1st, 2013 @ Crossroad Games

Hear the gospel of DorkaMorka announcements and sponsored events, along with other happenings in the area and community...

Fratris Salutem - June 1st, 2013 @ Crossroad Games

Postby Thor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm

The packet will explain all of this but I'll quickly go over it. The event is a campaign style tournament. Instead of showing up to beat face and claim first prize, you'll be participating in a story driven event that pits the forces of Chaos against the Imperium to decide which side prevails. The focus is on that conflict and the missions are written to follow the story and not on balance between two players.

We wanted to try something different this year and make this spring event stand out from the annual Standish Standoff. We're really hoping people enjoy this departure from the norm and this becomes an annual event all its own. I realize this style may not suit everyone and really that's half the intent. Hopefully we can bring in players who have never been to the shop and have always wanted to participate in something like this. We have our monthly tournaments focused on battle points for victory, the Standish Standoff that's a more hobby oriented event while still rewarding game play, and now an event that focuses on two sides and less on individuals.

You can find the packet here. The forums will be the location to get the most updated information and to ask any questions.

Hope to see you folks there!
Last edited by Thor on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thor

Postby Hippie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Ignore the bit about painting not required. It is required just not publicly.
Hippie

Postby Thor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Crap, should I have put this in the Announcements & Events area? I'll let you strong folks lift it over there. :wink:
Thor

Postby stormboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm

"Heave ho!" Into announcements you go!
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Registration is open for those interested: http://www.crossroadgames.com/catalog/event_tickets/322
Thor

Postby Hippie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 am

For those of you on the fence about this event check this out: http://creativetwilight.com/fratris-sal ... n-testing/

And there WILL be prize support and 3 winners from each team as well as the entire winning team(each player) receives a awesome sculpted award. Painting competition is completely separate and those awards are based solely on the models entered into that competition.

So stop making excuses and come up to Maine for a LONG day of 40K awesomeness!

Steve
Hippie

Postby TheRhino » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm

This just got pushed back to June 1st, if any of you Massholes had plans to attend. More info incoming, or you can read it over at the XRG forum.
TheRhino

Postby Thor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Todd beat me to it. I updated the topic name to reflect the new date.
Thor

Postby Thor » Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 pm

FYI, if anyone is interested and has not bought a ticket yet then you'll want to do so by this Friday at the latest. You can still attend if you buy later than Friday but the deadline for us to get in t-shirt orders is this Friday, so any later than that and you won't get a t-shirt when you come.
Thor

Re: Fratris Salutem - June 1st, 2013 @ Crossroad Games

Postby NobleSavage » Tue May 28, 2013 10:28 am

Thor, is this thing full up to rim? I imagine it is, but I thought I'd check, as my plans have changed.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thor » Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am

It's not full and there's plenty of room for any last minute registrants. Right now we're in need of more Chaos forces.
Thor

Postby stormboy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:58 pm

This was a great day. Amazingly run and exceptionally fun!

I will give detailed report later. Wonderful day!
stormboy

Postby Hippie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Glad you guys came up! Maybe next year we'll get more of you to make the Trek for this type event.

Congrats on your awards Jack and Mike!
Hippie

Postby Exokan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks! Had a great time!
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby stormboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Mike and I decided to head up to Maine on Saturday for the Crossroads Spring Event. I wouldn’t call it a tournament, because it was an event catered to sides. There was a “good side” and a “bad side.” The organizers did a great job of keeping sides Imperial vs Chaos – with a few exceptions (what can you do with Tyrranids? – Mike and I were last minute and his Horror Necrons ended up on the good side). Overall, the missions were well thought out and created a storyline. Plus, because it wasn’t an individualized winner takes all kind of event, everyone there wanted to have fun. Brad let me borrow his old Alpha Legion force, which consisted of two ten man squads in rhinos – two havocs (one auto cannon and one flack missiles) – Khorne Termies in Landraider with a Khorne lord. My Chaos boons ended up being not much a +1 Armor save for one game…. And a lot of unworthy offerings….. though it really was my inability to use them correctly that led to their constant failures…. I also had a 5 man squad to up my troops to 3 selections.
Game 1 – This was a straight table quarters game. I played against a Vulcan Sally army. Well painted and nice to look at. I forget the guy’s name. The game was fun, the only problem I had was that guy was completely stoic. No smile, no goofing off, no giggles, guffaws, or hint of any fun. It made the overall experience a little odd. That said, he played a strong game. Vulcan is a beast, and his 5 man th/ss termi squad cut a hole through my troops. My missile Havocs and joined with a couple meltas to take out the drop podding dread. I did manage to send a rhino squad to take out a 5 man squad and claim a table quarter – but I made the mistake of sending my termies against his termies and I discovered that lightning claws do not equal thunder hammers. My boss held out for a turn before he was brought low. In the end he held 2 table quarters to my 1. If I had run my termies to his deployment zone and took out the 5 man squad there, I could have at least tied the quarters. Hindsight…..
Overall the Imperial forces won the first game. Gaining 2 strategery points for the second game (strategery points could be used in a variety of ways – rerolls and forcing various in game effects).

Game 2 – I played a fellow named Warren, he had some amazing White Scars. There were 3 objectives to hold – but they were all booby trapped (hee, hee, boobies…..) and needed to be defused in order to be held. There were cool rules about suicide rushing objectives and blowing them up – but I didn’t get a chance to try that. Also certain tables could hold objectives that would benefit the entire side, named Call Out objectives. In this game the key objective was the Medicae Facility, which the Imperial (Good) forces held for most of the game, which ended up being my undoing.
3 objectives were placed along the center of the board and the battle began in earnest. The Imperial forces at another table got the Medicae Facility early, give a 6+ feel no pain to all Imperial Forces. Initially, my shooting was having a decent effect, knocking out a couple bikers and even an early terminator. Warren was a feel no pain champion though, and most of the game was fought over one objective, with my 2 rhino marine squads fighting his terminators and bikes. Feel no pain allowed him to save a terminator, which tied a combat and held them in the game long enough to keep a unit from supporting the other unit while it was wiped out by the bike commander. Over the course of the game, in cc and shooting, Warren made 6/7 medicae saves. Some in very important moments.
In the end my objective exploded in my face (he used his strategery points to make it a 3+ die roll for explosion) and he held one objective. I had blasted him off another with my autocannon havos, but I still couldn’t hold the game. Another notable event was the havocs and landraider combining to blast the stormraven – which of course floated and blocked my line of sight….
This game was a ton of fun, and fit the narrative of the day perfectly.
Game 3 – I played against a Cato Sicarius led Ultramarine force. We were battling for relics in each other’s deployment zone and over a special objective in the middle and killpoints. The special Call Out objective gave a moral reroll to whatever side held it. We set up and I seized the initiative. I proceeded to drive a rhino straight ahead and disgorge the passengers directly onto the call out objective. I rushed everyone else up the middle as well. My havocs hammered his front lines with fire and blasted scouts (and Helion) pretty much out of the game (though I forgot to finish them off and didn’t get the kill point for them – who is a dummy? Me, that’s who). In the first 4 turns I was in definite control of the board. I survived the first turns of his flyers and took them out (the Flakk Havocs shot the Storm Talon out of the sky… and it landed on them… killing two. They promptly took 3 wounds from shooting and failed all of the 3+ saves next turn. Good bye Flakk rockets…)
Something happened at the end of turn 4. He recovered and regrouped and lashed out with Cato and a handful of marines. His IronClad struck out and became an unstoppable machine. Between the end of turn 4 and 6 – he wiped me out to a man (and at the start of 4 I had only lost my 2 rhinos and the Rocket Havocs). The Iron Clad needed 8 inches through terrain for a charge, he rolled triple 6’s. Cato took a wound early in the game and never took another. The last two turns were a clinic in how to recover from a bad start.
It was the type of game that was legendary – and also a ton of fun. At one point he used his one Imperial Strategery point to reroll something crucial - but I forget what...
I won the Chaos Martyr Trophy for my actions in this game and my opponent won an Aegis Defense Line because he held the Call out objective at the end of turn six (I had it the entire game until he took out my last two Legionaires).
Overall amazing day. They even handed out a “Good side Victorious” story sheet at the end. Which means they needed to have both good and bad narratives written up – like the Patriots SuperBowl gear that is probably in some random poverty filled country, except for them the Pats actually won two recent Superbowls…. – I have to say that I have never been at an even for 8 hours and had so much fun (outside of Bacon Day). Imperial Forces won the day.
Prizes were split up between teams. So 2 prizes for Martyr, 2 for Best General, 2 for Best Army (Mike got that one), lots of great painting awards. Everyone on the winning team got a little badge. A really great day.
stormboy

Next

Board index Administratum Announcements & Events