The June Jerkoff: A Very Special DorkaMorka 40k Tournament

Hear the gospel of DorkaMorka announcements and sponsored events, along with other happenings in the area and community...

Re: The June Jerkoff: A Very Special DorkaMorka 40k Tourname

Postby Exokan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Best Overall: Steve Secord
Best General: Sam Gould
Best Army: Tony Stanley

Best Sportsman: Brain Prue, Steve McKenna, Campbell McLaughlin

A few things to note. We like spreading the prizes about, hence the fact that Steve didn't win both Overall & General (Overall is enough!) Sam was the next best General so he got it. Best army was primarily Painting but we did factor in comp/WTF points as a minor consideration. Everyone did very well sportsmanship-wise... we didn't have a single negative game! The guys who won the three prizes were elevated by the Favorite Opponent vote, which on top of perfect sportsmanship scores, really helped. Big shout out to our Ringer Alex, who graciously stepped up to play and help us out... He technically tied for Best Sportsman!

Anyways, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Hope you guys had fun, and will come to our next one (tentatively October)!
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby SRM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:On points - I personally despise 1500pt games, however I'm a realist and can agree that there's simply too much overhead in 6th edition to do 1850pts.

Psh, tell that to the men of the Valhallan 32nd rifles. Well, what's left of them anyway.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Anyone running a Chaos Marine or Chaos Daemon army does way more paperwork than the Imperial Guard! Which is just wrong on more than one level!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Hippie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Thunderjaw wrote:Anyone running a Chaos Marine or Chaos Daemon army does way more paperwork than the Imperial Guard! Which is just wrong on more than one level!

Yeah, I got almost 4 turns round 1, 3 full turns round 2, and playing CD/CSM round 3 we got 2 turns and a 10 minute turn 4. And I felt rushed the whole day to boot.
Hippie

Postby 92acclude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am

Yikes.

1500 sounds more reasonable, eh?
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby SRM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:08 pm

For the casual vibe and the sake of being realistic, 1500 is definitely the way to go next time around.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Hippie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Yeah, I also hated 1500 in 5th edition but have gotten used to it now in 6th and since my new Dex it is even better with all the point reductions and additional wounds. Also 1500 makes it tougher for folks to even fit 3+ FMCs or Flyers.
Hippie

Postby ajg6116 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Just wanted to thank you guys for hosting an awesome event. I had some very tough but very fun games, all in all a great time. It was good seeing the Dorka Crew again Hopefully you guys can make it up here for our next standish standoff. You can be sure that The Ultramarines Second Company shall return for the next event!!
ajg6116

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Yeah, I got ost 4 turns round 1, 3 full turns round 2, and playing CD/CSM round 3 we got 2 turns and a 10 minute turn 4. And I felt rushed the whole day to boot.

Hippie, I'm especially interested in an opinion outside of my own gaming circle--what are the main reason(s) you weren't able to finish? Just too much 40k to fit 1850 into 2.5 hrs? Set up takes too long? You run a horde army that takes too long to move? Opponents not knowing their codices? Dice down rules not enforced strictly enough?

Personally, I agree: 1850 can't be done in 2.5 hrs. Unless I lose big in turn 2, anyway. But I don't trust my own judgement, since geological eras often pass during my games... neither do I trust speed demon players who claim "I could play a 2,000 pt. game in TWO hours if my opponent knew his own dang 'dex!!" I think the new wound allocation and Look Out, Sir slows things down and probably eats up whatever time was saved by streamlining other rules. I think we have a better game, but not a faster game. What's your thinking?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I've played 2,000 point games in 2 hours. You just need to decide what you want to do and bunker down and do it. There should really be no excuse for ony playing to turn 4 in a game if both of you know your codecii. One of the benefits that competative tournaments have over fluff based ones I guess. I would recommend playing in some of the more competative games in your area. 4 hour games of 40k (which it sounds like you would have needed) are no fun to play against.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

At the start of the game, for my current Slannesh CSM/Daemon list (1850/2000) I'm generating the following:

1. Warlord trait for my CSM Chaos Lord
2. Boon of Mutation for my CSM Chaos Lord
3. Boon of Mutation for my Terminator Champion
4. 2 Spells for my CSM Sorceror (after deciding which power lines to use)
5. 1 Exalted Reward for my Keeper of Secrets (or decide to trade it in)
6. 1 Greater Reward for my Keeper of Secrets (or decide to trade it in)
7. 3 Spells for my Keeper of Secrets (after deciding which powers to use)

Every turn (when they're in combat) I have to roll for the Spawn to see what their bonus is. Every time I win a challenge, someone is getting another Boon of Mutation.

Another slowing factor is, since the army is subtlely unique every time I play, I have to decide how to use those powers, and remember who has what, and who gained what, and how they're now different from how they were just last turn.

I have to figure out my helldrake... moving fliers adds time... people agonize over how far to move them and at what angles, and who to shoot, how to Vector Strike, etc etc.

That's a lot of tracking... most of it I roll before my opponent even shows up so I can save time and ask them if they're ok with it. I'll gladly reroll it all if needed, so far no one has minded, but we're pretty casual. That approach won't work everywhere and definitely not in tournies.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm

It comes down to knowing your codex/rules.
If you are running mutations, you should know what they do for the most part and when they will matter and when they will be useless. There should be no surprises. You should roll and record them. Maybe make up flash cards that you can set in front of yourself as a reminder. I have found this helps greatly with psychic powers. I can see it speeding up play with mutations.

In terms of what psychic discipline to use, this should be fairly standard and shouldn't divert much between games Once inside that discipline, you roll and should know the 3 or 4 choices you swap for the primaris power.

Greater rewards I can't comment on, but again, for the most part familiarity should make this a fairly quick pick so that you see which one you get and decided yes or no without having to even read the rules for it. If you have to read the rules for all of these things, I could see them being time consuming.

Now explaining everything to your opponent might take a bit of time, but with all of those things going on, it seems like you have an elite army and shouldn't be running too many guys (unless you just have a tonne of zombies or something like that)
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby SRM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm

When I play against Daemons, I just tell them to roll all their malarky up while I get my models out of the case. I trust the people I play with, and frankly I don't know how much of a difference any of those gifts make. I just know I want those big daemons dead anyway, so whether you get a 6++ flargle save or a psychic majig doesn't make a big difference to me. I'm still going to FRFSRF that monster til it's dead.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 pm

I played 3 games. First game we started about 15 minutes late, right? But we only got to the bottom of 3 and called it.

Second game we got to the bottom of 3 and called it. We had 2-3 minutes left, but there was no way we were getting through another turn.

Last game, we got to the bottom of 4 with five minutes to spare, but since I was pretty much tabled, we were able to wind through turn 5 as well.

So that's 3, 4, and 5 turns out of should be 6, 6, and 6 (on average). And in the first two games there were still a lot of units on the table, so it's not like the last few turns would have been super-quick.

Now, part of it is that my list had many small units. But that's Tau in a nutshell. It's just...a lot of gaming to do. If I'd been running my 26-model Grey Knights army, maybe it'd have been different...maybe we'd have played faster. But I don't think we could have done the actual rolling and moving and whatnot any faster. I was picking up successes before the rest of the dice finished settling down; HIppie was pulling casualties from shooting while I did my Jet Pack moves. And he was rolling up all his gifts while I deployed, so it's not like that was it.

1850 in 2.5 hours is a stretch. And perhaps crucially, it's barely fun at that speed. I don't know what to do about it, given that tournaments are "always" three games, and we only have the hall from 11 am onward.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Hippie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Am I a slow player? I really don't think so and I do play my codex every week and 1 tournament a month. I finish games at our local monthlies 85% of the time(guesstimate). 2.5 hrs just isn't enough time for 1850 with the latest codecii. If it is Ultramarines vs Tyranids it is most likely fine. Alex and Jon will tell you I was throwing models in my deployment zone while they were deploying to speed that up as much as possible too. Like Brad here is what I had to roll Saturday:

LoC- 3 powers usually 2 on Divination and 1 on Tzeentch
2 Greater gifts
1 Lesser gift
Herald of Tzeentch 3 powers Divination and Tzeentch
1 Exalted gift (and if it comes up a 1 reroll on Exalted and roll on lesser)
Herald Slaanesh 2 powers Telepathy and excess
1 Greater reward(usually Greater Etherblade)
Herald of Slaanesh 1 power Excess
1 exalted reward(possibly 1 lesser like HoT)

Seeker squad Character
1 Lesser gift(usually etherblade so I don't even roll)

During games you have Blessings/maledictions, Movement, Drop a portal glyph, Use the Grimoire and then check to see if the Glyph makes a troop and if so deploy them all that ON TOP of normal movement.
Shooting -Roll Warp storm, oh it hits Slaanesh and enemy with a blast no less great. roll a D6 for every Slaanesh unit(my army) as well as EVERY enemy unit. Hit 3 or so units now resolve the Blast on each one. Now proceed to the typical shooting phase like everybody else. I only had 1 Grinder with 3 shots and torrent flamer(that I might have fired once all day) BUT here is the time sink - LoC test for Tzeentch shooting, DTW, roll how many bullets(flickering fire is 2D6 for 1 Warpocharge and an additional D6 per warpcharge spent up to 3), roll to hit, reroll misses because prescience, roll to wound.
Repeat for Horrors and HoT in that squad

Now Warpflame T test for all wounded units and blah blah blah

Assaults take time and my army is in melee turn 2. My 3rd game was against Daemons and CSM and both of us knew our codex damn good. I threw my seekers within 1" of his line turn 1 just to get the ball rolling and we remained in combat for 3 turns. Rolling warpstorm every player turn, I had 4 psykers and he had 2. Iron arm, Warp speed, Enfeeble.

IDK, ask Jon and Alex Thursday night if Hippie is just a slow mofo. I've been considered a hyper spaz my whole life so I truly doubt it.
Hippie

PreviousNext

Board index Administratum Announcements & Events