Crazy stirrings in fantasy. You won't believe your eyes.

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

Crazy stirrings in fantasy. You won't believe your eyes.

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:33 am

So apparently some KR all or many models wi be moving to round bases in fantasy in the near future with the new edition. This is a fairly relialable RUMOUR for the new edition as it has already been shown in white dwarf. Coupled with the introduction of loads of new characters and the rumours that they are begining to pull the fluff together from the two lines.

I'm not sure what to think but GW has done some really awesome things with 40k in the past year so I am excited to see what comes from this. Not excited to possibly rebase my whole Skaven army however...

Any thoughts? Anyone else following the end times story arc?
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Re: Crazy stirrings in fantasy. You won't believe your eyes.

Postby stormboy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:53 am

I have heard about the round bases and a shift to a skirmish style for fantasy - but not the two universes coming together...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:58 am

stormboy wrote:I have heard about the round bases and a shift to a skirmish style for fantasy - but not the two universes coming together...

There is talk that Negash and Sigmar are both lost Primarchs and just recently in the end times book series, someone came across a warrior in the warp clad in silver armour doomed to fight unendingly against chaos. Sounds like someone we know...?!?.!.?.!.?
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby stormboy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 am

Wow...interesting.

Crazy but interesting...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 am

stormboy wrote:Wow...interesting.

Crazy but interesting...

Very. I am apprehensive but they have been on a roll with 40k and fantasy lately so I am just happy to sit back, trust in GW and let them go. One of the things that does give me hope is that they are trying to make fantasy less expensive and move it away from the hoards of 200 minis which should be good for the hobby.

Not to mention that I am excited for those new rat models.
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 am

They're the ones that took fantasy into the realm of 200 minis with the rules that made horde formations pretty much required... while hordes are cool, you're right that they're also ridiculously expensive. It would be nice to see them shift away from that, but too much shift and too much cutting will alienate a lot of people. I'd hope they'd be careful, but most likely they'll do it in a ham handed manner as per usual.

The End Times books have been amazing, but while they've trended the game towards more streamlined forces by consolidating things, they've actually trended the games towards larger armies as a whole by presenting more options. The 50% Lords/Heroes has helped rein that in a bit though, but overall it's trended games larger from a points perspective if not a model count one.

It would be interesting to see them merge the fluff a bit, but hopefully it's not too extreme. If however they decide to make both systems compatible with each other so you can fight SPESS MURINES vs High Elves, I'll probably get a little bit excited. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 am

Out of all the rumors I heard, the one that makes me cringe the most is that WFB will introduce a new army while "squat-ing" others.

In particular Lizardmen will be a thing of the the past, Elves will be one race so all those DE Beasties are gone and Chaos will be a little bit of everything....

meanwhile, they will be introducing a new line of good humans in heavy armor.... launching a Space Marine line into the setting...

Overall, some of the rumors, which are coming from the "real deals" of Rumormongers, are all interesting yet frustrating as only GW can frustrate. (remove/obsolete your models, change how they need to be modeled)
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 am

Thunderjaw wrote:They're the ones that took fantasy into the realm of 200 minis with the rules that made horde formations pretty much required... while hordes are cool, you're right that they're also ridiculously expensive. It would be nice to see them shift away from that, but too much shift and too much cutting will alienate a lot of people.

It would be interesting to see them merge the fluff a bit, but hopefully it's not too extreme. If however they decide to make both systems compatible with each other so you can fight SPESS MURINES vs High Elves, I'll probably get a little bit excited. :)

I totally agree with your first point; the idea of huge hordes is fun and interesting and looks great but it makes the game really really expensive. This is their own fault and they are clearly trying to fix it and drop the price point with huge characterful awesome models - how can you not love that solution.
Your second point bothers me. I don't want to see that! But maybe they will do it well, who knows?!? If space marines drop down why wouldn't they whipe out the whole plant?
DAPatrick

Postby timd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:46 am

I read a synopsis of the End Times on Reddit yesterday and it sounds really, really sweet. I was never a big Fantasy guy because it was so model-heavy (and I just like 40k better) but I'd love a shift towards a skirmish game.

FWIW, the person that wrote up the synopsis seems to think the timelines are going to blend in the sense of making it clear that the Fantasy world happened as a precursor of sorts to the 40K, not that they'll blend the actual rules. Almost like Fantasy would become Warhammer 10K or something, which I think would be pretty cool.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby mace_ace » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 am

There have long been rumors of the world of Fantasy being one in the Eye of Terror. Could be interesting i guess, but fluff wise I really don't want to see Space Marines vs Skaven.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby timd » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 pm

mace_ace wrote:Could be interesting i guess, but fluff wise I really don't want to see Space Marines vs Skaven.

Clearly you never played against BGM!
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 pm

timd wrote:
mace_ace wrote:Could be interesting i guess, but fluff wise I really don't want to see Space Marines vs Skaven.

Clearly you never played against BGM!

That's exactly what I thought when I read that. I never got to see the army but he talked about it a fair amount.

And it's furry mike TYVM.
DAPatrick

Board index Discussion Other Games