How is 5th edition D&D?

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

How is 5th edition D&D?

Postby NobleSavage » Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 am

Have you played it? What do you think? How is it different from 4th?

Can I have a pony?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: How is 5th edition D&D?

Postby Exokan » Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 am

Dude. Roll a D20 to touch the pony's boonies.
-Mike H.
Exokan
Penitant
Penitant

Postby Drool_bucket » Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 am

well, with no one else jumping in.

I played one session of it. It was fun. It felt like D&D again, unlike 4th edition which was a board game, and it was significantly less crunchy than 3.5

The reviews I've seen say basically the same, it returns to the AD&D feel of the 80's and 90's but with significantly smoother and more sensible rules sets.

My biggest complaint was that combat is a "grind..." but that is more of the function of D&D at its core instead of a problem with the new rules.

Every one I speak with loves 5th edition.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby 92acclude » Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 am

Cody will be your resource for this, but...

It's good. It's not the back and slash hilarity that 4th is, but I think it's a good mix of skill and combat based challenges.
http://dylangould.blogspot.com/

2017: 110
2016: 120 | 2015: 68 | 2014: 103 | 2013: 124 | 2012: 176 | 2011: 221
92acclude
'Stache Masta
'Stache Masta

Postby jeremy » Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Last time I really played D&D was with 3rd, so I can't comment against 3.5 or 4. But what I've read through of 5th Player Handbook, I really liked. Seems solid, without being too technical or overly detailed. It's not Warhammer Fantasy Role Play... Spell casting seems a lot more organized and easier to use from a player perspective, but this could be my fuzzy memory of 3rd. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play much 5th before that group imploded, and I just haven't been able to find anyone else looking for another party member (no interest in DM'ing).
"Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, can make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity, because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.... makes perfect sense.
jeremy
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Lucyth » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:18 pm

I can give you a detailed run down next time I see you, Ron. Whenever that might be.

The quick and easy answer is this: Compromise.

- 4th disturbed the old neckbeards because it was different than 3rd and 2nd, but new players could grasp it easily.
- 3.5 was fucking broke and overwhelming to new players.

5th is a grand compromise of sorts. It hearkens back to 2nd a LOT, but it recognized the flaws in that system and discarded them. It recognized the streamline mechanic system of 4th was an inviting and overall great idea, so they kept that mentality and rejiggered things for the better.

In essence, they took 2nd and 3rd, gutted the abusive, convoluted, and arcane game mechanics and grafted on a sleek, easy to understand series of rules.

The Magic system, however, is rather complex and cumbersome for new players. It is DEFINITELY like the olds days when you say "I'm going to cast [spell name]! Hold on while I flip through some pages to figure how it works, when it works, and why it works." I understand for a lot of fanboys, that's what spellcasters want. For new players, it'd be easier to steer them towards non magic using classes or at least classes that only use a few spells.

They fixed Wish so it doesn't break the game. Hooray!

Also, if you're a fan of maps, figures, and tactical battles, they provide the rules for that. But they also encourage DM's to fight quick skirmishes without using maps. Most battles I make people fight relies little on maps, but for extremely convoluted or important fights, I roll out a map and some figures. It's a great compromise.

The one issue I have with 5th is the concept of advantage/disadvantage. Instead of giving players a bonus or penalty to rolls because of context and circumstances (example: a +5 to attack rolls because your opponent is an old lady) you simply have "advantage," meaning you roll 2d20 and take the highest roll. This isn't broken in the slightest, because Critical Hits have been toned down.

The problem with this mechanic is that it doesn't distinguish between if you're fighting a blind, crippled, old lady, or fighting a blind, crippled, old lady and you have a bajillion ninja buddies surrounding her: you only get 2d20 and take the highest.

It's a good system. Perfect? No. But it is quick to pick up, easy to play, and true to the game. I'd rate this as probably the best overall d&d I've seen. And I loved 2nd and 4th.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby mace_ace » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:37 pm

I have nothing to compare this too since I just played my first game of D&D last night (5th ed) and it was completely fucking awesome.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Board index Discussion Other Games