WFB Changes

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

WFB Changes

Postby Thunderjaw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:03 pm

So, the rumors of changes to WFB have been flying for months. They seem to be sort of settling down now into the game changing to a Skirmish based game that scales up to full size like the old edition. And rumors say no armies are getting squatted (though it remains to be seen if units are going away). Also... it seems the base thing is moving to rounds...

SOme pics were posted recently of some armies from Warhammer World showing round bases for WFB... Take a look at the lizardmen in this pick and tell me what you think... I look at this pic and the only thought that goes through my head is "Man, round bases look awesome!"

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: WFB Changes

Postby afeinman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 am

Round bases for skirmishers, square bases for rank and file? That'd make sense to me. Square = facing is important?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:20 pm

Would the game retain both square and round bases? Square for models that rank up, and round for models that only skirmish?

Or is the picture of a group of models that were simply photo-worthy but on a mix of bases, and that coincidental mix of bases has no larger meaning?

GW enjoys making its customers consult the tea leaves, huh?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 pm

That's the thing... no one knows... I think the world is assuming completely round, but that's given the existence of LOTR style movement trays that make it a non issue. I've heard numerous reports of people that have talked to GW employees and the company is completely aware of the rampant F.U.D. that exists around basing... yet they don't give enough of a crap to shoot out a quick statement giving some guidance.

I've heard that "any base is fine" but that makes for some really weird interactions in the rules. I've heard that round is only for skirmish, which causes some weird interaction from a collection standpoint.

I think the rounds look awesome, but rebasing to that isn't something that's going to happen for most people, so I suspect it'll be the "any base is fine" rule. But that causes issues with frontages in ranked units. Some people have posited that the game is going to "element" style based on the movement tray size, and actual models won't matter so much... so a unit could have a "10 wide" size or a "20 wide" and count as a set frontage that didn't matter how many models were actually in the unit. Kings of War does something like this... you don't remove models from the unit as it takes damage. You remove wounds, and when the unit breaks or dies the whole thing is removed.

An approach like that would "solve" the frontage issue... you could base a 10 man unit with 7-8 guys plus some scenic elements to build something really cool that didn't require ranking everyone exactly the same.

I'm just glad I haven't painted my Vampire Counts!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:I'm just glad I haven't painted my Vampire Counts!

Pretty much this. I've got tons of Empire sitting around waiting to hear what's going on before I assemble them. Just glad I didn't get more done before I heard the rumblings.
Jonasty

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:23 am

Leaked pic... not sure what they are, but they look awesome...

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Kind of awesome, yes. Kind of silly, too. Sort of like Space Marines without the science fiction.
"In the grim distance of the way before, there was only war then, too."
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 pm

I don't like the look of this at all.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:24 pm

It doesn't look like those minis are from the same line the text underneath describes.

They look like those elite Blood Angels, kinda.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:34 pm

The rules are out on GW's website. The Rulebook is completely free. I use the term "book" very loosely as it's four whole pages. Four. Most people need more sheets than that to wipe their ass.

The "Army Scrolls" have the rules for units. They're incredibly simplified... WS, BS, Toughness, Strength are all gone... Models have 4 stats... Move, Wounds, Save, Bravery. Their weapons have Range, Attacks, To Hit, To Wound, Rend, and Damage. It doesn't matter if you're hitting a Goblin or a Great Unclean One... it's the same amount of effort...

So much for my hope this might actually be good.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Simplified rules? Okay, could be fun. Free rules? That's a genuinely cool thing GW did. Free rules for almost every model in the Fantasy range? Even better! A reboot of the Fantasy setting? I can definitely see the need for it and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The fact that there's literally no balancing factor for the game beyond eyeballing model counts and the numerous rules that require you to dance or scream out actual battlecries for rerolls make me think that this is what will be what kills Fantasy. The rules read more like the joke Magic the Gathering Unhinged/Unglued sets. There were rumors from Harry (I think, someone who actually has some clout) that this would be kind of a splash thing for 6 months but I have no idea if there's any veracity in that.

If they do something similar to 40k, I'll just keep playing 7th ed.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 pm

That sounds awful.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Actual rule for an Ogre special character:

Apparently GW stores are still letting people play regular games of Fantasy in-store and keep old stock of books and stuff and we'll probably see reprints in like 6 months. This whole thing is a weird experimental clusterfuck.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Yeah, that's right up there with the stupidest rules I've ever seen. It's basically GW saying "All our players are drunken idiots with a combined IQ less than their combined shoe sizes. They'll love these "rules"."
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:31 pm

The models are...Interesting. High quality of course. It seems to me they threw Warhammer Fantasy and the Horus Heresy into a blender, added some ice, and what came out was Age of Sigmar with diluted rules.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Next

Board index Discussion Other Games