The Better Battletech Miniature

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

The Better Battletech Miniature

Postby Brutal Legend » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:14 pm

I found this guy's thread while searching Sarna.net trying to find better, higher quality N Scale miniatures for Battletech. This person is taking 3-D designs from the pc game MechWarrior Online and making new versions of classic BT designs. It's a long thread. I haven't looked through all of it. I could easily spend $50-$100 on some of my favorite chassis.

http://www.lordsofthebattlefield.com/fo ... 15&t=40058
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: The Better Battletech Miniature

Postby SRM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Neat, but until 3D printers don't have that grainy texture anymore I don't think I'll be getting any minis made from them. It's still weird that the best Battletech minis made so far were the prepaints for that clix game.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Ok, I think you will find that there are better miniatures out there produced by a variety of mecha manufacturers but the cost of these models starts getting prohibitive. Look at these models. These are the models I'd like to be playing with. These are larger N scale models. Don't ask my where you can buy them because I'm still trying to figure that out.

Going back to the link I posted - I'm going to order a Cataphract from this guy since the Ironwind version is very bad. I'll see how long it takes and what his process is since it's batch production. When I hold one in my hand I'll see the quality. The search for the better battletech mech continues.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Battletech seems to historically excelled at picking the crappiest companies to handle their minis...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Brutal Legend » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:Battletech seems to historically excelled at picking the crappiest companies to handle their minis...

Licensing has been a huge part of the problem.

Jon

Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah and that's a shame really... the IP rivals GW's IP from a depth perspective. There's so much background and story there but they've consistently chosen incredibly poorly on who they license the figures to. The new starter box plastics are much better and I've seen some "new" sculpts from Catalyst for new plastic mechs that look great, so maybe they're past that point.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:Battletech seems to historically excelled at picking the crappiest companies to handle their minis...

And stealing mech designs from anime. Of the four John posted in the picture above I see the Ironfoot (Dougram), Tomahawk Defender (Macross/Robotech), and the Dougram (Dougram).
Last edited by mace_ace on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby mace_ace » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Hey guys, here's my BattleTech miniatures ;-)

mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Stolen is a bit harsh. FASA licensed the rights to those mechs from an import company. It was later revealed that the import company didn't have the right to transfer the license and into eventually turned into a lawsuit. FASA acted in good faith and got burned. The actual owners of the rights wouldn't agree to license them to FASA, but at that point the cat was already out of the bag. The images were on the covers of books, had been made into models, and in the hands of consumers. FASA lost the suit and agreed to undo as much as they could, but there's still a ton of stuff out there and the Internet has made it even harder to snuff out.

Catalyst (the company currently working on the IP) tried to renegotiate the rights, but Harmony Gold (who owns the rights outside of Japan) didn't want to give up their exclusive access. I don't really blame them either. The Macross stuff is golden and stands in it's right and shouldn't be diluted in other product lines... The Battletech guys should (and are) just design their own stuff. I've seen "reworks" for the Macross Excalibur and Gladiators that look new and unique but still capture the "flavor" of the originals. They just need to do that for the rest and stop trying to recirculate the same crap.

Plus the Robotech RPG Tactics already has awesome models of all those mechs! :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Hmm the first paragraph is very interesting. as soon as you bring Harmony Gold into it gets into a 30 year legal rat's nest. Long story Short; they didn't own half of the rights they claim to. They claimed far more than they bargained for.

The stuff that BT used came from many different properties owned by different entities.
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby SRM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:36 am

The formerly licensed designs are known as The Unseen and the minis are typically worth a pretty penny. I've got a pair of them lying around. I have a Phoenix Hawk (VF-15 from Macross) and a Wasp (VF-1S) that I painted when I was like 7. The old metals from the 80s are better than the plastics in the box set, which also are pretty old. I think the multpart plastics are more modern though. I really just wish they'd partner with Mantic or Prodos or somebody who has an idea how to make minis and produce something decent though. I'd love to play Battletech but the minis are... quaint, even for somebody as into retro shit as I am.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:51 am

Amen Campbell. There are a ton of great mini companies but historically they always went with the crap ones.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby SRM » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:14 pm

I would love it if they got Mantic or Prodos or Warlord or seriously anyone who seems to have some idea how to make multipart models in this day and age to revitalize it.

I dug up a bunch of old mechs at my parents' house, including some I found in a flea market years ago:

I genuinely have no idea what the guy was going for with the glitter. I think my dad painted up the two strider things for a game back in the 80s.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Hah! That glitter mech is great. Thats one of the illegal designs... Excaliber was the robotech name... thats one of my favs from that setting... just sans glitter.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:17 pm

"Whaddaya mean, 'that glitter 'mech just pulls me out of the game world' ?! I TOLD you: the fluff is that my lance, the Bay Ridge Rockers, was raised on a world that never advanced beyond "Disco" technology. My force commander is Lt. Col. Anthony Manero! Jeez!"
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Next

Board index Discussion Other Games