Frostgrave

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

Frostgrave

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Morning,

I've been looking at a game called Frostgrave for the past few months. While the game has been around for about a year or so, it's starting to pick up steam amongst gamers and gain more attention. I'd largely ignored it until recently, but after taking a look at the rules I'm kind of stoked about it.

Frostgrave is a Fantasy Warband Skirmish game. You have a Wizard, an Apprentice, and 8 Soldiers. Using these pieces you explore the ruins of Frostgrave in an attempt to uncover treasure, arcane knowledge, and fame. It's very small scale (10-12 figs max) and while mostly a player vs player game, it's also got some environmental effects that are straight out of every Fantasy RPG ever... Wandering Monsters, evil mages, random encounters, etc etc.

The rule book is cheap. $20 from Amazon and it provides everything you need to know. You'll also need a D20 and maybe a scatter die. While there are some excellent figures available from Osprey/North Star Miniatures, including an awesome Soldiers box that lets you build 20 Soldiers, figures from any other manufacturer will work. I'm currently building a Necromantic warband that's made up of a GW Vampire Count, GW Necromancer, and a mix of Reaper and GW Skeletons for the soldiers. Jack is looking at building his warband out of some Skinks and Saurus and Jon is building his using GW LOTR figs (Gandalf is badass for a wizard). Any figures will work as long as they "match" the equipment of the Frostgrave model types, which is pretty simple to do.

I'd urge everyone to look the rules over as this seems like a great filler game that's basically free. I'm going to start a Frostgrave campaign/league in Feb, but it's going to be a "spare time" league... i.e. play when you want, how you want. It won't take away anyone's Thursday nights unless they absolutely want it to.

So give the rules a look see... if you want a PDF copy of the rules, PM me for a link. Also, Google Image Search on "Frostgrave Warbands" to see some cool stuff.

Anywho... post up here if you've got questions or anything. There will be some house rules in the campaign I run since this is version 1.0 of the Frostgrave rules and honestly, it needs some house rules, but I'll be basing mine off the community consensus of the Frostgrave players at large.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Frostgrave

Postby SRM » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:42 am

Count me in as interested, sounds like a fun little game.
SRM
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby stormboy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:26 pm

What I like about this is that I can paint up/convert a few lizards and no commit to anything more than what I have.

Do bases matter? Square? Round?

I would love a link to that PDF...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:36 pm

There's no official verbiage on basing in the rules. The official frostgrave figs come with 30mm (ish) rounds. I'm using GW bases for mine as I've got a bunch, but Malifaux 30's would work well.

PDF link will be in your PM Box.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby anumberone » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Hmm...I'm curious about this game. I have a ton of fantasy type horror miniatures that I could probably use for a warband. Dracula as my wizard, Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, the Mummy, etc as soldiers.
anumberone

Postby anumberone » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:26 am

On second thought, it would be a good opportunity to use these Froudesque goblins from Imbrian Arts for something.
Attachments
stacks_image_6406.jpg
stacks_image_6406.jpg (463 KiB) Viewed 546 times
anumberone

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:08 am

Those models would look awesome... basically you can go nuts with whatever models you want... as long as the weapons match the model type you're representing... i.e. thug = model with hand weapon, thief = model with dagger, etc etc... aside from that you can do whatever.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby anumberone » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:42 pm

I like it. I'm listening to the Meeples and Miniatures podcast on Frostgrave and it sounds great and not too much of an investment. I'd appreciate a link to that PDF as well.
anumberone

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Link sent!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 am

Could I get that link, too?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby mace_ace » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Ron it's in the SFR thread on Frostgrave.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Mason is correct! But just to be sure I PM'd you the link.

And sent a Google Docs Invite...

And a certified letter.

And an RFC 1149 compliant message.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby mace_ace » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 pm

We can only hope that one of those will work.
"Jesus, I'm high maintenance" - NobleSavage
mace_ace
Tacohammer
Tacohammer

Postby Jonasty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:46 am

I just heard about Frostgrave like 3 days ago, saw one of the books for sale on a minis site. Sounds pretty cool from what you're saying. Brad I'd take a link if you're still dishing them out.
Jonasty

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Boom
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Board index Discussion Other Games