X Wing Regionals 2016

General discussions for Aeronautica Imperialis, Warhammer Fantasy, and other games...

X Wing Regionals 2016

Postby Brutal Legend » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 am

Yesterday I played in the X Wing Regionals sponsored by Battleground Games. There were 100 people there (give or take). There were 6 rounds on the day. I placed in the top 16 with a winning record of 5-1. It was a fun, long day. My reward for placing in the top 16 (in addition to an alt-art Hera pilot card and plastic tokens and other swag) is I have to go back today and play in the Finals which will be sudden death elimination as we find out who the winner will be that goes to the National Tournament.

I'll do a quick write up in the next few days. Wish me luck. I'm off to the Finals!
Last edited by Brutal Legend on Sun May 22, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: X Wing Regionals 2016

Postby Michaud » Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 am

Congrats Jon! Good luck today!
Michaud

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 am

Grats! How did it go!?
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

Well played, sir!

Yes, how did it go?
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Postby Brutal Legend » Mon May 23, 2016 8:23 pm

That was a great event! Was it well run and at a nice venue? Yes. Was it a huge time commitment? Yes. Did it take place over 2 days and take up an entire weekend? Yes. Did I think about quitting after my first loss? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Maybe not next weekend but definitely soon.

Saturday's venue was the Holiday Inn in Taunton. It was very well appointed and clean with good bathroom access. At one point it did get a little hot but they seemed to take care of it and it cooled down after a while. It was a large ballroom with circular tables. They had set up a tv/dvd so we could watch the Star Wars movies while we played our games (starting with Ep. IV). They set up their x wing products as well.

My Squadron:

Faction: Scum
"Thug Life" - 4 Syndicate Thugs (Y-Wing ), Twin-Laser Turret, Unhinged Astromech

Now, I have to tell you. I got a lot of rye looks and side talk about my squadron. For one thing, it was a popular list when the scum Most Wanted box set first came out which was about a year ago. Secondly, it was no longer considered a top tier, viable list because of the introduction of Autothrusters that turned the meta around and began helping fighter aces like Soontir Fel avoid the 360 degree turret ships. Clearly I disagree. I think this list will always be good. It's easy to fly, it has a 360 degree fire arc, you get to make 2 attacks each round with the twin-linked laser turret (although you can never deal more than 2 damage a turn per ship), and the unhinged astromech makes all your 3-speed maneouvers green which knocks down a lot of the Y-Wing's drawbacks. So even though I didn't have the agility of other light fighters, I would always have a shot and be dealing damage unless my targets were within range 1 or too far away to hit.

I looked at it this way. I have to play 6 games. I need something that is easy to fly, but is durable enough to take on the meta of fighter aces as well as jumpmaster U-boats.

Here were my match ups:

Round 1

Vs. Whisper (Tie Phantom), Omega Leader (Tie/fo), Omicron Shuttle with Emperor Palpatine (Lambda Shuttle)

Also known as a PalpShuttle list, you take a cheap Lambda Shuttle, put the Emperor in as crew, he then gives you the ability to modify, either attack or defense, to anything you wish once per turn. So a blank becomes a hit, a blank becomes an evade, and so on. A great ability. In the end, I was able to kill more ships than him.

Victory 70-50

Round 2

Vs. 2 Barons of the Empire (Tie Advanced Prototypes), Captain Jonus (Tie Bomber), Gamma Squadron Pilot (Tie Bomber)

This was a weird game. Fun, but in a different way. He had a lot of missiles and torpedoes and he was looking for a head to head fight. My list does better if I'm flying away from you, so I K-turned and began flying counter-clockwise around the board. We didn't roll and dice until there was 5 minutes left in the 75-minute round. He attempted to kill a Y-Wing at range 3, leaving it with just 1 hull point. I shot and killed one of his Tie Advanced Prototypes. Game over.

Victory 23-0

Round 3

Vs. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced Prototype), Carnor Jax (Tie Interceptor), Soontir Fel (Tie Interceptor)

This was one side of the meta you always expect. 3 Imperial Aces. The Inquisitor is the new kid on the block and he's really good, but Carnor and especially Soontir are old favorites of Imperial Commanders. One word that sums up this game - Autothrusters. He had above average Evade dice and the bonus that Autothrusters gave him was enough to put him over the top. It was a really close game, coming down to the final rolls. Maybe everyone was right. Maybe the Y-Wing Thug Life list has had its day. I consider going home.

Loss 66-100

Round 4

Vs. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced Prototype), Wampa (Tie Fighter), Omega Leader (Tie/fo), PalpShuttle (Lambda Shuttle)

I decide to stay and play another game. I'm here. It's still possible to place in the top 16. Let's go. My oppenent played just another slightly different version of the Palpshutle squadron. I had already faced a Palpshuttle list that day. The Emperor can be a manipulative force, though, and this game ended up being a modified win (a game in which both players scores are within 12 points) for me. Yuck! A modified win could really hurt my "margin of victory" score and could spoil a top 16 spot.

Victory 60-50

Round 5

G-1A Starfighter, Hound's Tooth, Jumpmaster

This was the type of list I was expecting. The Scum faction Jumpmaster, also referred to as the U-boat because of its ability to boat missiles as well as its U-shape, could quite possible be the best ship out there right now. So why do I destroy all of his ships in about 30 minutes? First, my dice were really good. I am able to kill the jumpmaster first before he kills one of mine, his G-1A lags behind, and he flys his Hound's Tooth off the edge of he board. It was really a shame because I needed the practice against these new wave 8 ships because if I did well I knew I would have similar lists later on. I'm feeling pretty good after this game. Who's next?

Victory 100-25

Round 6

Wompa (TIe Fighters), inquisitor (Tie Advanced Prototype), Omega Leader (Tie/fo), PalpShuttle (Lambda Shuttle)

Another PalpShuttle list. This game had big implication for a top 16 spot. But at that point I was on top of my game and I was able to share damage around on all my ships and fly them away rather than risk them getting killed. So I ended up flying away from danger in the end game. I had one Y-Wing at full health and another badly damaged. Then I killed his last ship.

Victory 100-50

This was the last game of the Saturday event. I made it into the top 16. I got an Alt-Art Hera card and a spot in the Finals at the Battleground store in Plainville on Sunday.

Sunday

Sudden Death Elimination Finals

Round 1

Vs. Soontir Fel (Tie Interceptor), Inquisitor (Tie Advanced Prototype), Omega Leader (Tie/fo)

Obviously everyone I play from here on out is going to have had a really good day on Saturday just like me. I'm nervous. I'd like to not get knocked out in the first round. This was a good fight. 3 Imperial Aces versus low pilot skill turret monsters. He got a good hit in with some proton rockets from the Inquisitor. In the end I was able to kill 2 out 3 of his ships. A win is a win. Onto the top 8!

Round 2

Vs. Manaroo (Jumpmaster), Zuckuss (G-1A Starfighter), Palob (Hwk-290)

This was only the second game that I have played against a jumpmaster. I think this guy is going to give me a better game than the first jumpmaster list I faced. And he does. He comes after me with the jumpmaster, tries to plasma missile a Y-Wing to death early. I K-turn and fly away while I return fire with my turrets. I manage to kill the jumpmaster and the Hwk. It was looking really good for me. Then, Zuckuss would ruin my day. One of the new scum fighters, it's like a B wing, but Zuckuss has the ability to roll and extra attack die, which gives you an extra defense did, but he began to get 5 dice at range 1. I'm totally surprised at how good this is, never facing Zuckuss before. He knocks out my 2nd and 3rd Y-Wing, leaving me with just 1 ship left. Ultimately, both of our ships would not be in range of each other when time ran out. Zuckuss had done me in. But in my defense I'll say this. The jumpmaster was my target at first because, according to the new tournament rules, you get half the amount of points for a large ship if you reduce its remaining shield/hull to half strength. So I got on the board early by half'-healthing the jumpmaster. Two reasons I didn't target Zuckus early was he had Gonk, which allows you to spend an action to create a shield token and spend an action to recover one shield, so regeneration. The other reason was I had never faced him before and didn't know how good he was. And I guess also there wasn't enough time to finish him.

So I went 6-2 for the whole event. I got a lot of little swaggy stuff. I also got a Star Mat that says "Top 8 Regionals 2016" on it which I thought was an awesome prize. I'm very happy with my performance overall.

Interestingly, my opponent in Round 2 of Sunday faced my opponent in the game that I lost from Saturday in round 3. The Zuckuss, Jumpmaster, HWK guy wins against 3 Imperial Aces.

The Final 2 squadrons were Zuckuss, Jumpmaster, Hwk Vs. 2 Ghosts and a Y-Wing.

The 2 Ghosts and a Y-Wing guy wins the whole thing. That's it. Rebels win!
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Mon May 23, 2016 8:48 pm

This is all great news, Jon, congrats on your weekend and well done representing the crew!

Glad that the game is so popular and the format seems great!
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby tinfoil » Mon May 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like you played well.
Villain.
Scum.
"the closest thing we have to a nice guy is that asshole fred."
-Bruce of Bruce

"Oh, look at me! I have a bowling shirt on!!! I'm in a little toy club!!!"
-Exokan
tinfoil
Dream-Crushing Jerk
Dream-Crushing Jerk

Postby NobleSavage » Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 am

What Fred said!
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion Other Games