[Malifaux] Who's playing what?

Through the Breach, and we're not talking about a glory hole...

[Malifaux] Who's playing what?

Postby Drool_bucket » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 pm

So, I've been asked a few times by different people now regarding who plays what, or more particularly, what isn't getting played.

Malifaux has seven different factions. In each of those factions you have seven Masters. Each game you play you have to select a Master. Each Master then hires a crew of models from an available pool, which in most cases is from the Faction. However each Master usually has their "theme'd crew," a selection of models that synergize well with each Master. So while two Guild crews led by two different Masters will likely have both different and same models inside of them. Some times, two crews of the same faction will have no shared models.

Anyways, point being, like most gamers after the look of some model or gameplay of a certain crew, the final deciding factor may be "who's not being played." Lets a person be unique in the gaming circle or something.

So here is a current, rough list our Malifaux players (or wanna-bes) and what crews they play.... and for the record, if someone has 3 or more Masters in a given faction, I'll just list the faction instead of each master.

Ian - Outcasts, Ramos, Kaeris, Dreamer
Jonah - Neverborn, Outcasts, Ressurrectionist, Perdita, Collette, S'omer, Ophelia
ArmyMatt - Guild, Arcanists, Neverborn, Tara

Us first three really don't count. We have many crews across many factions.

ZombieMatt - Guild
Jeremy - Gremlins
Travis - Jakob Lynch, The Dreamer, Kirai
Brad - Neverborn, Yan Lo
Fred - Lilith, Seamus
Cody - Pandora, Collodi,Nicodem
Jack - Rasputina
Ed - Lilith, Seamus
Greg - Viktorias
Chris - Lady Justice
K - Collette
JR - Von Schill
Alex - Misaki
Last edited by Drool_bucket on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: [Malifaux] Who's playing what?

Postby afeinman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:48 am

Are you thinking players bring the same crew for the league, or just the same Master, or just the same Faction?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 am

Fixed master.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:16 am

Drool_bucket wrote:Fixed master.

Actually it's gonna be Fixed Master and Fixed Faction. (Example: if you play a Dual faction master like Jakob Lynch for the League you'll also have to declare which Faction you'll be playing him as, in this case either Neverborn or Ten Thunders. That will then be the faction you have to use him for during the duration of the league.)
Jonasty

Postby agentorange » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am

As of now I only have Jacob Lynch and Kiari up and running. I also have a Kaeris crew in the works but only have the starter box so far. As far as the Dreamer goes; all I have at the moment is the master(s). So if anyone else wants to run the Bad dreams crew; please do. It will be a while before I have mine going.
agentorange

Postby afeinman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 pm

So how does it work? Declare your Master, then each game you put together a crew and gadgetry?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Drool_bucket » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 pm

afeinman wrote:So how does it work? Declare your Master, then each game you put together a crew and gadgetry?

Exactly.

You still follow the normal steps for a game of Malifaux, but when it comes time to "Declare Factions" you'll declare the same one, and then when its time to "Hire Crews" your hand is forced into a Master.

Its a common tournament/league set up.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Lucyth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I have a decent sized Nicodem crew, as well.

Interesting that Arcanists are the odd man out. Not many people go for them, whereas EVERYONE wants to play Resurrectionists and Neverborn.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby Zhent » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Seriously - for all the crap I got for picking Guild I thought I was going to be one of untold masses with red crews on this list! :)

The Gremlins and Ten Thunders are relatively new, right? Are they more complicated or simply missing some models to make them equally represented?
Zhent

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Zhent wrote:Seriously - for all the crap I got for picking Guild I thought I was going to be one of untold masses with red crews on this list! :)

Just because they aren't popular doesn't mean they still don't suck. Guild are the oppressive "man" in Malifaux.. who wants to be that? :wink:

Zhent wrote:The Gremlins and Ten Thunders are relatively new, right? Are they more complicated or simply missing some models to make them equally represented?

Yes. 10T was the 6th faction released in book 4 of M2e, a year prior to M2e. Still the new kids on the block, so to speak. They are particular uncommon across all of the Malifaux-playing world (from the point of tournys, podcasts and online speak) and the theory is because with M2e so many people went back to their "original" Masters and Faction.

Gremlins have been around since book 1 and 2, but they became their own Faction with M2e. The issue currently is that many of the models are not even released, including a Master and his crew (The Brewmaster) from M2e book 1, which is very disappointing.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Gremlins only have two masters with figs out right now (not counting Zoraida) and I think only three total that are even released, so they're a "growth" faction.

Ten Thunders are more popular than they appear, but they're an "infiltration" faction and all their Masters for the most part are dual faction.

Ten Thunder Masters
Misaki - Ten Thunders Exclusive
Jakob Lynch - Neverborn
Yan Lo - Ressurectionists
Mei Fang - Arcanists
Lucas McAbe - Guild
The Brewmaster - Gremlins

I have no idea who their 7th master is...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:
Ten Thunder Masters
Misaki - Ten Thunders Exclusive
Jakob Lynch - Neverborn
Yan Lo - Ressurectionists
Mei Fang - Arcanists
Lucas McAbe - Guild
The Brewmaster - Gremlins

I have no idea who their 7th master is...

Not to be a know it all, but!

Misaki is dual faction Outcast, which is supported heavily in the fluff and I was happy to find out.

The 7th, and only non-dual faction 10T Master is Shenlong, a monk character that manipulates conditions, such as burning and focus and such. He has a following of monks and peasants.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Because I find it somewhat hard sometimes to remember who is a master for each faction, I prepared this handy reference with the help of Officer Nelson. Dual Faction Masters are highlighted in Yellow.

++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Lucyth wrote:Interesting that Arcanists are the odd man out. Not many people go for them, whereas EVERYONE wants to play Resurrectionists and Neverborn.

I'm rocking Rasputina and Colette crews currently and I'm hoping to get Ramos, Marcus or Mei Fang for Xmas if my brother got the hints.

Although yes, I'm primarily dirty, dirty Neverborn. :twisted:
Jonasty

Postby afeinman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:20 pm

For the graphical thinkers (like me) I redrew that visually:

afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Next

Board index Discussion Malifaux Discussion