The latest in perceived "national security issues"

Anything that floats your boat

The latest in perceived "national security issues"

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:34 am

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/20/474883927/worlds-steel-makers-to-china-time-to-cut-the-glut

Turns out that China makes a fuck ton of steel. More than the global market wants. Which drives down prices, and impacts jobs. And puts double handfuls of sand in the vaginas of other steel-producing countries. Like ours. And the U.S.? Has no tolerance for sand in its va-jay-jay.

U.S. steel companies have been arguing that this has become a national security issue. The surge of Chinese imports has weakened the U.S. industry, killing off jobs and capacity. As a result, "the United States may be forced to rely on potentially hostile foreign governments like China or Russia to equip our military or respond to an emergency," according to the Alliance for American Manufacturing.

Scary! No... wait. How's that work exactly, Chicken Little?

In other news, the U.S.-based Snack Food Association is meeting with the House Committee on Homeland Security about the ballooning imports of Azerbaijani snack cakes, which an SFA spokesperson describes as "economically threatening, and potentially hostile to our American way of life."
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Re: The latest in perceived "national security issues"

Postby timd » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 pm

There's been a surge in imports in part because the Chinese construction industry has really slowed down. What was once one of the fastest growing construction markets in the world has slowed drastically, so all that steel needs to go somewhere. The problem is that the slowdown in construction has caused Chinese companies to undercut each other and fight for contracts. Literally fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtnIImGipg

So you tell me Ron, does front-end loader combat strike you as a potential threat to National Security? I don't know about you, but the last thing I need is super-heavy machinery melees down the middle of Comm Ave when I'm trying to get to work in the morning.
NobleSavage wrote:I'm trying to keep my personal life off the Internet.
timd

Re: The latest in perceived "national security issues"

Postby NobleSavage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 pm

super-heavy machinery melees down the middle of Comm Ave when I'm trying to get to work in the morning.

When you factor in buses and the T, that's pretty much what's already happening. It's not quite Fury Road bad, but only because the average driver doesn't know how to make those exploding spear things. Yet. (That's probably not fair to bus and T drivers. They can be monumental fuck ups too, but they're ostensibly professionals.)

I'm just really, really glad the Chinese have stepped up and taken Russia's place as our White Whale. I mean, it's endlessly diverting to wish death on ISIS, but we can't honestly blame our national decline on them. We need an enemy super power for that.

So, China... for all you do, this sip of cheap-ass, free-from-the-cafeteria coffee is all for you. Never change, 'cuz we wouldn't have you any other way.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Miss Celanie Off Topic