New Bloodbowl Season

Debate the finer aspects of paying homage to Nuffle... Unless your name is Ron, in which case you're not welcome, so piss off!

New Bloodbowl Season

Postby nick_nameless » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Kickoff event thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10367

As many, I hope, have been anxiously awaiting, I would like to announce the start of our next Blood Bowl League.

There are some fairly significant format changes for the upcoming league. There will not be a fixed slate of opponents for the schedule, but rather a set of times that are available for people to get together and have some fun Blood Bowl games. Please read on for the details.

The league format will be a pool style league. There will be no divisions. The top X teams will make the playoffs. X will be announced when I have a slate of committed coaches

The league will start with a kick-off event on September 13. Venue TBD, but I will be speaking with the other club members about having this event at The Eagles. On that day, league members may participate in up to three rounds of Blood Bowl games. At the start of each round, opponents will be determined randomly. The one caveat being that I will make an effort to keep npeople from repeating opponents.

Each Thursday, starting on September 18 and ending on November 20th there will be a Blood Bowl Pool starting at 7 PM. Advanced notification for coaches planning to show up would be greatly appreciated. I will post a thread each week for sign-ups. Or you can, if you are the first person wanting to sign up and there is no thread. Yes, I mean YOU! Owners must commit to show by 6:45 so that opponents can be determined. Again, this will be random and again I will try to keep people from repeating opponents in consecutive games. Coaches that did not sign up early and wish to play will be welcomed. Coached that signed up and call me to tell me they might be late will get assigned games. Coaches that sign up but don't show and don't call will receive some gruesome punishment. Maybe even to their Blood Bowl Teams! *gasp*.

If there are an odd number of teams, I will act as ringer and play the odd team out. In the event that I can not make it, our newly hired 'Dante Scarnecchia', Brad "Thunderjaw" Wood will have the pleasure of being my stand-in. In other words, Brad has been hired on as our new and permanent Assistant Commish. If I somehow get all Lucythified and hide under my pillow for 2-4 months where nobody can find me, Brad will make sure things keep moving!

Teams will be assigned 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, and 1 point for a loss. Each team's top 8 games will be considered for their playoff contention, with the maximum amount of points a team can earn being 24. That is a full 13 opportunities to get your 8 games in, but wait...there's more!

Each team will be alowwed to schedule one game outside of the random pool. This is to allow coaches with tight schedules a little flexibility. I encourage coaches to be judicious here, because if a team really needs a game and they can't find an opponent who has not played outside of the Eacgles yet, well, that would suck for them. Of course coaches can always ask for a game against my Ringer team.

The playoffs will be held on Saturday, November 23. If a team chooses not to participate I reserve the right to promote the next team in line to a playoff spot. Please be ready to take on all comers on that day!

Other business: The bank will remain at 150K. Random yet targeted (or slightly less randomized) MVP will remain in effect as it existed last season. That's Nominate 3 and randomize.

What will be different is the postgame. Teams will need to conduct their postgame at the table. If a team really needs some time, they can have until Sunday Night at 10 PM to select skills, but I will be encouraging coaches to turn in full game sheets at the end of the night, Thursday.

ALL GAMES WILL CONCLUDE ON THURSDAY NIGHT. "Pencils Down" at 10 PM. We need to get the postgame done and cleaned up and out by 10:30. If you are concerned about getting your game finished, play on 4-5 minute turns. Games that are not done will stand as they are at 10 PM.

Remember that because the games are randomly determined on Thursday Night, I will need to set up the games after the fact. The best way for me to do that will be to have the game sheets in hand.

The goals here are simple: Eliminate any metagaming. Eliminate schedule problems. Show up and play a game and have fun!

I will be away for the next week or so. Brad, Jack and Patrick were at the meeting where we talked about these rules. If I have mistated something, please correct me, guys. Otherwise, post questions here and we will get answers out ASAP.

Good luck and sign up here!
Last edited by nick_nameless on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
nick_nameless
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: New Bloodbowl Season

Postby agentorange » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Are there any guidelines or restrictions for new teams?
agentorange

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 pm

No minimum size or maximum team value or anything... though obviously taking a new team with zero games in is never for the faint of heart.

On thing Jimmy will have to verify... He said if we got the software upgraded that we could field the new Khorne team if someone wanted to. The software is in and the support for it is enabled... I'm tempted by it... that team will SUCK in league play, but might be fun... Up to Jimmy if he is still cool with it being allowed.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby agentorange » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:13 pm

Worse than flings?
agentorange

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Frenzy ever y where... zero block...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby agentorange » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:11 am

Ya, that will do it..
I was debating starting a DE team but they will probably get eaten pretty fast if a lot of the high value teams return. Probably just run my nurgle team that has a few games under their belt.
agentorange

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 am

I think if you can get six games in, that's a good starting point for a new team. Not terribly hard to do either.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 am

Thunderjaw wrote:On thing Jimmy will have to verify... He said if we got the software upgraded that we could field the new Khorne team if someone wanted to. The software is in and the support for it is enabled... I'm tempted by it... that team will SUCK in league play, but might be fun... Up to Jimmy if he is still cool with it being allowed.

I'm tempted too. It's like Chaos, but...Chaosy-ier. May just play a game or three with the team and then decide whether they're league-worthy.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby stormboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:07 pm

I am tempted by Dark Elves or Norse, though both would be starting builds.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby quiestdeus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:25 pm

My Norse are in!
quiestdeus

Postby stormboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:53 pm

I will commit to Dark Elves, so I won't be crowding you out with more Norse.

I seem to have played one game with them and had one skill up. I may need to decide on a new name...
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby agentorange » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:32 pm

I wonder if the khemri will show up this season.
agentorange

Postby Brutal Legend » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:24 am

I'm going to play. Not sure what team though. I might play humans again. I have a few new teams I could play.
"I was not alone, for foolhardiness was not then mixed with that love of the grotesque and the terrible which has made my career a series of quests for strange horrors in literature and in life." H.P. Lovecraft, "The Lurking Fear" (1923)

Jon

http://jonzucchi.blogspot.com/

http://voidwarbfg.blogspot.com/
Brutal Legend
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Thunderjaw » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 am

I'm leaning towards either bringing Animal Farm back (easiest choice), or swapping over to my Slaan team, or my relatively new Undead team.

Whatever it ends up being... it will be Bash... even the Slaan! :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby agentorange » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 am

Thunderjaw wrote:I'm leaning towards either bringing Animal Farm back (easiest choice), or swapping over to my Slaan team, or my relatively new Undead team.

Whatever it ends up being... it will be Bash... even the Slaan! :)

Battletoads!?
agentorange

Next

Board index Discussion Blood Bowl Discussion