Blood Bowl Etiquette and Quirks

Debate the finer aspects of paying homage to Nuffle... Unless your name is Ron, in which case you're not welcome, so piss off!

Blood Bowl Etiquette and Quirks

Postby Thunderjaw » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 pm

The Etiquette of Blood Bowl

Team Appearance - A good looking team is always fun to see on the pitch, but there's more than paint to make a good experience for your opponent. Always use figures appropriate for their ST Value. You shouldn't have ST3 guys the size of other ST4 or ST5 guys. Keeping the size relational to the strength helps people visually identify what they're facing. Also, use models with a consistent look and feel. Try not to use things that don't really look like what they are. Keep em "footbally".

Base Rings - A lot of people like colored base rings for their players to help differentiate player types from each other. This can really help if you're using different figures. Common usage of colors is Blitzer(Red), Blocker(Green), Thrower(White), Catcher(Yellow), and Lineman(Grey). You can achieve this by either painting the base rings or using some fancy Base Ring doo-dads that are sold in shops like Impact Miniatures or Comixininos.

Numbering - Please clearly number your guys - ideally on the front and back of the bases. There's a lot of ways to do this. Some people buy small plastic numbers and glue them on. Some folks paint a white spot and hand write the number in. Do whatever works best, but make it decently easy for your opponent to spot.

Model Facing - At the start of your turn, all your players should be facing away from you. As you move each one, spin them to face towards you. At the end of your turn, spin them back around. This is a clear visual representation of who has gone and who hasn't. Make this a habit!

Knock Downs - When a player is knocked down for any reason, place him/her face up (prone position) on the pitch. If the player is then stunned by the action, place them face down (stunned position) to indicate that they are stunned. If your player has no obvious "front/back" on the model, consider creating tokens or markers to indicate prone/stunned status. If your player is too big or too difficult to lay down, consider a marker of some size as well. These can be homemade or can be purchased from various locations on the web.

Stunning - Don't flip a stunned player over until the END of your turn. That way they don't get confused with players that are just down and eligible to move. Conversely if your opponent forgets to flip a stunned player over, remind them.

Turn markers - Be sure to move it every turn. Remind your opponent to move theirs. You can call illegal procedure, but keep in mind that this often will really annoy your opponent. Expect to be treated as you treat others. So don't call illegal procedure unless you're really wanting to increase the "dick factor" of the game.

Fouling - Fouls are perfectly legal, but they're controversial since they don't generate SPP. Use fouls judiciously. Most people don't foul at all or they are extremely selective about it, and as such fouling tends to be very rare. If removing the piece gives you a clear and needed advantage, then feel free to foul away. Always look at the value of the piece you're risking losing versus the cost of the player you're attempting to remove. Fouling is perfectly legal and acceptable. Don't foul just to be a dick though. Verdict: Fouls are Fair Game!

Crowd Surfing - This means pushing someone off the pitch. This is a legit way to get a man advantage and help you win the game... especially for some of the more fragile but Frenzy laden teams (Norse, Khorne). You don't get SPP for this either, but it's somehow seen as fairer than fouling. It's a straight injury roll with the worst case for you (as the surfer) being a guy in the Reserves bin for a drive. This can be huge. Again, moderation is key. If you're up two touchdowns and your opponent has half his guys in the CAS bin and you're still crowd surfing, then you're basically a dick. Use your judgement as in all things.

Turn Burning - Again, a split. Some folks think Turn Burning is completely fine. Some folks hate it with the fire of a thousand suns. Again, it's moderation. I personally don't "rush" my scorer... i.e. if I've got the ball and I'm away cleanly but can't make it into the end zone with my normal movement, then I don't score till next turn. This isn't turn burning. Turn burning means sitting one square away from the end zone while you mercilessly seal club your opponent on the line of scrimmage and make him wish he had enlisted in the army or something so he could be far away. Verdict: Don't turn burn.

Pace of Play - Playing fast is important. It's part of the game. That being said most people don't play on a 4 minute timer like the rules specify. For new players, after you've gotten a few games in to learn the basics, I'd recommend playing with a "soft timer". This means run a timer but don't automatically end your turn at the 4 minute mark. Use the timer to make you aware of how long you're taking. Eventually you'll get faster.

Figure Handling - Be gentle with others figures. Usually let them turn them over prone/stunned. Some folks won't care if you handle their figs. Some folks will. Kind of feel out your opponent. Generally they'll reach for their stuff if they get the heebie-jeebies from someone handling it. Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better. Lovingly lay the figs down. Seduce them. Treat them exceptionally. Especially on rough surfaces (stone boards, textured boards, etc).

Journeymen - if your team has less than 11 players, you MUST hire a journeyman for your next game. This player is free, but DOES count towards your total Team Value (TV). You can hire a journeyman via Team Management > Hire Player > and checking the box for Journeyman. Don't go into a game without actually adding Journeymen to your roster or you will be cheating your opponent due to TV differential. If your Journeyman gains SPP during the match, you may hire them permanently (via the Hire Journeyman option in Management). Yeah, the wording is a bit confusing, but looking at it should make sense. If not, PM any of your helpful league members.

Attitude - Your opponent needs to have fun. If you're bitching and moaning, then you're probably reducing their level of fun. Conversely if you're cackling with glee every time you succeed or they fail then you're probably not contributing to their enjoyment. I'm not saying the game needs to be professional and/or, but keep it as even keel as possible.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Blood Bowl Etiquette

Postby afeinman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:44 pm

This is a great start. Thanks for starting this conversation!

For the newbs: Bloodbowl is srs bizness. It's the one area of Dorka where a lot of us become more "WAAC" than normal. ("WASC?") And some of the rules allow for things which are totally legal, and even in the spirit of the game, but frustrating to play against.

What is really interesting to me is how many of these guidelines make it harder to play certain teams. I'm not saying that's bad, but it is interesting...e.g., some turns just absolutely have to turn-burn (*cough* dwarves) because they're aiming for a 2-1 win, period, unless something weird happens. In the NFL this is called "having a strong running game" and "maintaining possession" but it can be intensely frustrating to play against, partly because there isn't much you can actively *do* when it's happening. Sometimes you can, if you have leap or hypnotic gaze or something that lets you wade through 6 Guard/Stand Firm blockers, but it's...tough.

Likewise fouling. Obviously, goblins foul a lot. They excel at it. They have special abilities for it. And then people play goblins and complain they foul a lot. This is because being fouled is frustrating, moreso because fouling back doesn't really balance out. Having my 300k elf passer foul your 40k goblin is a shame to everyone involved. I think this is part of what makes it doubly frustrating. That being said I personally have come to terms with fouling, except when it's done on the last turn of a totally-won game at the end of the league.

Crowd surfing: low-strength teams rely on pushing people into the crowd whenever possible, especially when playing against high-armor teams. The opposing player has more to say about this than turn-burning; you can usually avoid getting crowdsurfed. Playing against Cody I basically treat the board as 2 squares narrower than usual if he has a piece within 11 squares of me. Even if he has all mummies with Move 4, I don't care, somehow he's going to figure out how to move 11 squares and shove me into Aunt Bertha who is going to Cas my dude with her battlepurse.

Because this is a league, injuries really matter, and can ruin a team quite quickly. This is also No Fun(tm). But it's also No Fun to win against every gobbo team because they're somehow not allowed to foul or crowdsurf. So...a balance.

Brad, you skipped over a little piece that I didn't realize wasn't standard: when a player gets knocked down, put him/her face up. If he is Stunned, put him face down, and then flip him/her face up at the end of the turn. This does mean your pieces have to have recognizable "faces" and "backs", unlike my shoggoth blockers. This, and the "turn around as you move" guideline, is also why I like square bases and figures that aren't 9" tall.

Are we doing Bounties this year?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Lucyth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Well said, Alex, and diplomatically so. Though I think you give me too much credit.

The only thing I want to add is to the fouling part. When an opponent fouls my players, I experience a little bit of dread but a moderate amount of glee. Depending on if armor is broken, there is a 1/3 chance that the player fouling will be kicked out of the game! Basically when my opponent fouls, he's gambling his own player against mine and the odds are against the player fouling. I'll gladly stomach some fear for a chance of a player advantage!
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks Alex! I added a section on Knock Downs to cover that. I also added a section on how Journeymen are handled as that can be confusing for new players.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Re: Blood Bowl Etiquette and Quirks

Postby afeinman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm

place him/her face up (prone position)

Technically face up is supine. Prone is face-down...at least technically...colloquially it just means "on the floor"...
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Thunderjaw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 pm

We're using blood bowl terms. Laying on your back is prone. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby nick_nameless » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Alex' next team: Supinity Divinity!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
nick_nameless
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby NobleSavage » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am

Great thread, Brad. Entertaining, too!

The etiquette for fouling and crowd surfing was especially edifying.

And Alex's concept guideline that "the pitch is two squares narrower when I play Cody" as LOL-awesome.
"Either way, if you do touch their junk, don't treat it like you want your own treated. Treat it WAY Better."

--Thunderjaw
NobleSavage
Casanova
Casanova

Board index Discussion Blood Bowl Discussion