Season Five

Debate the finer aspects of paying homage to Nuffle... Unless your name is Ron, in which case you're not welcome, so piss off!

Re: Season Five

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:51 pm

That would look very good and actually help with the theme. I'd approve.

Oh, and you should paint them. :)
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby drbelanger73 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Woah!!!

Slow down... I just got the bases...

Still, given the rate at which I have produced figures, I am very close to having a "Never gonna happen/Don't need this shit in my house" sale. I will be lucky if I ever get my Tau army updated, my Blood Angels re-done, or my Black Legion army finished. Expect to see a lot of Imperial Guard for sale.

I had this grand idea of creating a regiment which had become part of the Tau Empire. Then I could use it all as one massive force in, oh wait, nobody plays that game anymore. So ya... Never gonna happen sale... maybe soon.
drbelanger73
D-Rok

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:00 pm

This is completely off topic... but with the new Allies rules you could totally do that...
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 pm

drbelanger73 wrote:Woah!!!

Slow down... I just got the bases...

Still, given the rate at which I have produced figures, I am very close to having a "Never gonna happen/Don't need this shit in my house" sale. I will be lucky if I ever get my Tau army updated, my Blood Angels re-done, or my Black Legion army finished. Expect to see a lot of Imperial Guard for sale.

I had this grand idea of creating a regiment which had become part of the Tau Empire. Then I could use it all as one massive force in, oh wait, nobody plays that game anymore. So ya... Never gonna happen sale... maybe soon.

If you want to unload some squats let me know.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Lucyth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 am

Back on topic...

- I'm sad that Jim will not be participating this season. I understand, but the DMBBL will be missing a great coach this time around.

- That said, I hope Brian (questdeus) will join up and bring some new blood to the league!

- I actually thought that increasing the Bank Rule to 150k might be beneficial to many teams, so it's always a possibility.

- Hopefully, the Champ will be returning, though Greg has been absent in the hot summer months.

- IF nobody objects we could aim to start the League in September.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby quiestdeus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Lucyth wrote:That said, I hope Brian (questdeus) will join up and bring some new blood to the league!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9291#p88846 :P

With that said though, I know for a fact that I will be on travel for work the first two weeks of September (the 5th and 12th respectively) so I would need to either play a couple catch-up games or get those games in before I take off to parts unknown.
quiestdeus

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Any plans to change the post season? Any thoughts on forcing forfeits if games are not completed on time? This has been a persistent problem in past leagues especially during playoffs. I know some leagues force a stand-in to play your army if you can't get your game scheduled on time. That may be a bit harsh, but so is waiting a month or more between games.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:10 pm

How about making the playoffs optional and giving people the ability to bow out and let the next runner up in. I pretty much NEVER want to be in the playoffs, but the only way I can bow out is to forfeit. That sucks.

The entire forfeit methodology in general blows and needs to be addressed. Last season's playoffs had numerous issues that should never have happened.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Lucyth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

This is a very good point. I definitely want to hear people's suggestion on how to handle forfeits in both the regular and post season. I've heard Jimmy's ideas on this, but I want all the input I can get for this touchy subject.

I
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby stormboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 pm

I think we have been too patient with games being played. I wasn't involved last season because the previous season dragged on forever! It never ended, then hearing people saying that they were waiting for game results before playing was crazy. Just play. Life gets in the way, but sometimes we put life in the way as an excuse. Once a game is more than two weeks overdue, it gets forfeited and every body moves on. The Commish needs to make a decision on who the forfeiting party is and a star player sits for a game.

Those are my initial thoughts to keep the season on track and on time.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby DAPatrick » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

I like jacks idea. The season has been too forgiving when 'life gets in the way' I complained for basically a month waiting for a game. I should have clearly backed out earlier. There are a few players who have been guilty of this in the past. I would have loved a chance to keep playing, but after that log, backing out was the best idea ever. I am glad that someone was able to step up in my place.
DAPatrick

Postby drbelanger73 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:26 am

There are legitimate reasons for backing out of a game during a given time frame.

There are also weeks where I am waiting on one individual to get in a game.

For my own part, I had some serious shit going on in my life. Those of you who know me have some idea, I won't go into it. Still, I did not back out of the season. I don't expect everybody to make the same choice. These are decisions the commish is going to have to make on a case by base basis. Deliberate sandbagging, shenanigans, and associated BS should be dealt with as such. However, if there is a legitimate backlog, you need to be up front. Let me say these things...

1. Fun

I enjoy the BB league. I enjoy seeing teams return. I enjoy the stories. I enjoy the rivalries. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. We should not lose sight of this. The very first game I played I was reduced to two amazons and chose to concede. Was it pleasant? No; but it did become part of my team's narrative. Blood Bowl requires a different attitude. There are complaints that it is TOO competitive. I can see some of this. But lets face it, there is no fluffy/non-fluffy list building in blood bowl. You hit the pitch and you play as hard as you can. For some, this is sheer bash or dash. For others, it is a carefully thought out percentage of dice rolls. For others, it is a combination of both. Sometimes you do it all right and Nuffle says no. It is a matter of style, fun, and the will of a demented Blood Bowl deity. I mean, I love you Nuffle...

Did I mention fun?

2. Timing

The season needs to move along. Of course I would have liked to fight my way into the finals on my own, but it didn't happen that way. I stepped up and finished the season, because I want the league to continue. I think there should be a graduated delay which is understood at the beginning. Two weeks is not a bad time frame. Three should be considered and understood delay frame. After that, it should be an understood penalty.

There can be all sorts of opinions as to why games are missed. Is this person ducking a team? Is it a legitimate problem? Are we going to ask for a doctor's note? How do you determine? Some situations might warrant exceptional circumstances, but they should be obvious on their own without great debate. Penalties should be uniform and expected. All three parties should discuss exceptional circumstances in private, or in public if decided. The commish's decision is law. No questions, gripes or whining.

Ideally, two weeks is plenty to get in a game. I think we are a fairly flexible group. Many games have been played at people's homes as well as the Eagles. Three weeks should be an uncontested, unquestioned extension. After that, unless extenuating circumstances exist, you forfeit your game. Other team wins 2-0. Two targeted MVPs are awarded to the winner along with two random rolls for touchdown points. Standard winnings and fan factor roll. Forfeiting team has top FOUR star players sit out next game. Benched players are replaced by Journeyman. Additionally, you play your game at your original team value. This way the system cannot be used to suddenly reduce team value for other shenanigans. It is a slap in the dick. It should feel like one. But on the other hand, it is uniform and expected. Daddy warned you...

Beyond that, there are certain pussies like Khardar Darkheart who wander off into the sunset, having made their glory in the early days of the league. Instead of defending their greatness in a changing world, they sit back and suck up endorsements, marry trophy wives, and end up driving blazers down the highway followed by half the police department. That is their own life choice though; who are we to question?

Beyond that, I look forward to meeting those old and new who choose to return to the pitch.

As always, fuck Fred.

Carry on...

Edit:

If such a forfeit is incurred during a playoff period, penalties carry over to game one of next season; tied to coach not team.
Next eligible team advances. Teams forced to advance are allowed a free refusal at moment of notice. Once game is accepted however, standard penalties apply.
drbelanger73
D-Rok

Postby Lucyth » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 am

Essentially, we're searching for two answers:

1) How long should be given until a hard, no excuses forfeit is declared? 3 weeks sounds good to me, personally (one week beyond the allotted two weeks). What happens when there IS no clear cut culprit for a forfeit? When two coaches try hard to get their game in, but things just don't work out. Flip a coin?

and

2) How will ALL forfeits be dealt with? It seems obvious to me that in regular season or in post season, the penalties for a forfeit should be the same. But it also sounds like people don't care for how the rules deal with forfeits:

The Rules wrote:"The winner gains all of the loser's winnings and MVP from this match. In addition, the loser automatically loses one Fan Factor and may not roll for a new one, and any players on the loser's team that have 51 SPP's or more will leave the team on a D6 roll of 1-3. Roll separately for each player with 51 or more SPP's to see if they leave."

(Touchdown SPP's are not given out according to the rules.)

Derek suggests benching the top 4 Star Players on the team for one game and then forcing the team to play at it's original TV. Harsh.

I'd suggest adhering to the rulebook with one slight alteration: Any players who leave because of the roll as outlined above are able to be bought back at the end of the season at their standard cost with skill ups. For example, Lineman Bob with 61 SPP and 4 skills is 160k in TV. He leaves after his team forfeits, but at the end of the season he may be bought back for 160k.

Any other thoughts?
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby jeremy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am

Lucyth wrote:What happens when there IS no clear cut culprit for a forfeit? When two coaches try hard to get their game in, but things just don't work out.

It's somewhat arbitrary, but I would say that whichever coach made themselves available the most # of Thur at the Eagles over the time period. Doesn't mean that games can't be played outside of Thur at Eagles, but it means that if one coach makes themself very available at the club playspace, they aren't considered "at fault". If neither coach makes themselves available on a Thur at Eagles, then both forfeit, and suffer consequences...

Lucyth wrote: How will ALL forfeits be dealt with? It seems obvious to me that in regular season or in post season, the penalties for a forfeit should be the same.

I personally don't like permanent damage to a team, but should be significant enough to where can impact team for a couple of games. Each 51+ SPP sits on bench for D1-3 games (rolled per player). Or some variant there of...
"Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, can make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity, because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.... makes perfect sense.
jeremy
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't think there needs to be such a huge punishment for life getting in the way. The commish just needs to push things along more. Losing a game can be bad enough not getting an MVP, maybe the opposing coach selects a player to MNG and we all move on. Piling on too many punishments could create more bitterness and Ill will, something that the league could do without.
DAPatrick

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Blood Bowl Discussion