Campaign Starting Arsenals

Through the Breach, and we're not talking about a glory hole...

Campaign Starting Arsenals

Postby Jonasty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Thread to brainstorm and post up your starting Arsenal for the campaign.

Arsenal Google sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NF_qsAzox8j9CSL5-hY8VcfIiRJoKRQuPGTLS-6Ezhw/edit?usp=sharing
Jonasty

Re: Campaign Starting Arsenals

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:29 pm

The upgrade sheet for me seems wrong. There's no Plasma Cannon. Ask Fred. I always get a Plasma Cannon. Honest.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:45 pm

So, Ten Thunders, aiming to have a crew that works well with both Misaki and Shenlong so I can be indecisive until the last minute. High model count feels like a win.

Yamaziko: Won't be facing enemy masters for a while: makes her less useful. But cheap?
Ama No Zako is expensive and stone-greedy. But good pool, and good for ordering enemy minions around.
Fuhatsu, Ototo: expensive, one-dimensional. Might still be hilarious.
Sensei Yu: too far toward Shenlong?
Toshiro: great for buffing minions, better access. Thematically I hate him.
Kang...?

Option 1: Yamaziko and a pack of minions (archers/snipers + torakage + a monk or two). Then save up for some bigger hitters.
Option 2: Fuhatsu And The Samurai Boys plus one air-monk. Expensive as hell, tear shit up.
Option 3: Ama No Zako, Tengu, MLR, TTB, Oiran, Torakage. Swiss-army-knife build, one of each kind of model.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Jonasty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Thunderjaw wrote:The upgrade sheet for me seems wrong. There's no Plasma Cannon. Ask Fred. I always get a Plasma Cannon. Honest.

Just play Sonniia and we can call it a Plasma Peacebringer. :P
Jonasty

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Same dilemma I've got Alex! Choosing faction is easy, but figuring out the master is a lot harder. I'd say pick an initial crew that works well with a particular henchman and worry about the master later... The henchan could very well die or get annihilated anyway and it might end up not mattering.

I ended up going with a typical Undead Posion crew consisting of Sebastian, Rafkin, Flesh Construct, Belle, and 2 Canine Remains. Everything except the belle have built in poison triggers, and most of them can charge poision targets as a 1 action. Sebastian has the upgrade that lets him summon Canine Remains making him the Cesar Milan of Undead Doggies. I have no idea what master I'll end up with... but at least it'll be fun to start!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 pm

What Brad said, don't worry too much about a build towards master other than maybe 1 or 2 specific models. Things will change as we progress. Especially as some of the campaign skills and injuries can potentially affect your models and muck with your game plan from there. I'm not planning on aiming for Ramos but if I get enough flips turning my crew into Constructs then that'll change real quick.
Jonasty

Postby Jonasty » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 pm

Think I've got my Arsenal picked out. Not sure how they'll work together exactly but I like the models.

The Captain (Arcane Reservoir)
Oxfordian Mage
Oxfordian Mage
Gunsmith
Arcane Effigy
Jonasty

Postby Thunderjaw » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:29 am

I like it... it's got a good "feel" to it. Also looks shooty/explodey as hell. Very painful. I'll be sure and walk my puppies on the other side of the park from you!
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby afeinman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:46 am

Okay, I uncheaped out and got the (legal) PDF of Shifting Loyalties. Found this:
On page 12 Shifting Loyalties wrote:"Players may use excess Soulstones from hiring to increase their Pool as normal. However, Henchmen do not add their Cache."

So take that out of the calculations, and Ama No Zako is really unattractive now. Maybe we'll start with Fuhatsu for entertainment value.
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Jonasty » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Yep, Henchman cache isn't a factor when you're deciding what you want to buy, it evens out for everyone.
Jonasty

Postby Jonasty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:07 am

Just a reminder that the campaign starts on Friday so start working on those starting Arsenals. I'd like to have them all locked in by Friday evening.
Jonasty

Postby afeinman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:50 am

Are the leading henchmen considered Leaders for the purposes of buying Leader-only upgrades?
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby Jonasty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:59 am

afeinman wrote:Are the leading henchmen considered Leaders for the purposes of buying Leader-only upgrades?

Yep. You always have a Leader for your Arsenal that doesn't change barring death or master hiring, which to start is whichever Henchman you choose to lead the crew. So buying a "Leader" restricted Upgrade isn't a bad starting purchase cause you'll never lose it even if your starting Henchman dies. Vs the model specific upgrades.
Jonasty

Postby Drool_bucket » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 am

where is my tab! none of this "you didn't sign up" yet shit, because I am obviously playing this shit!

I'm gonna start with Nix and use Survivalist as my lone upgrade. The rest I won't share until I have a tab!
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

You've got a tab, now give me the rest of your Arsenal! :roll:
Jonasty

Next

Board index Discussion Malifaux Discussion