Malifaux

Through the Breach, and we're not talking about a glory hole...

Malifaux

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 pm

So for those interested in the different factions of Malifaux, there is more info in the link below. It is similar I think in many ways to Arkham in that you play almost exclusively 'named' characters, but you do so with cards instead of dice. In this way, you can invest more in making certain actions possible.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/Ezine/WC%20Faction%20Spotlight.pdf

It is set in a really weird steampunk driven world. There are a few different settings; swamp, wild west and victorian England. I have yet to see any really great VE terrain, but would love to get a peek at some. Mordheim scenery of possibly some of the GW fantasy scenery coupled with some new skaven stuff would work in a pinch.

I am thinking of running one of the following factions, although which one will likely change once I get the actual book and read things over.

For the ARCANISTS

I might run a miners and steamfitters union with a mechanical wizard who makes steampunk spiders and sends them into battle for him.

or I was also thinking of possibly going for the RESURRECTIONISTS
and picking up a bunch of zombie dogs that are made from the body parts of the battle.

Another option with the Restrictionists was to go for the Jack the Ripper theme. I am a budding Ripperologist and am thinking pretty hard about this, but only for theme. I am not sure how well it would actually run.
So from the name, it is Jack and his team of zombie hookers that lure you in and try to bite you and turn you.

Those are the thoughts I have. Also tempting to get killer babies that force you to cut yourself.

Or a witch doctor that has voodoo dolls that control your own players.

Anyway, to those that I have talked about this with. that is what I am thinking. LMK, I don't know when I will begin picking these guys up.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby Thunderjaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:25 pm

I picked up the rules today along with the Guild starter pack (Lady Justice, Judge and 3 Death Marshalls). :)

Three Douchebags (Trolls) in Chelmsford has one more rule book and a semi decent selection of starter boxes and figs.
++$ Brad
Thunderjaw
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Lucyth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 am

When, and I say WHEN, I ever get some spare scratch, I'd probably invest in the Legion of Sorrow starter set: Image

The little "Alice" girl and the killer baby are what sold it. That and the possibility of upgrading to the Pandora in Avatar form model:

I was initially drawn to the Guild for the Death Marshal figures, but after doing some poking around and research, it seems that they are very Space Marine-y in that they are straight-forward, easy to play, and everyone has a Guild crew. Instant turn off.

The neverborn speak to my twisted Dark Eldar side. The Teddy model... pure gold Image

As for the game I am very intrigued as to how it plays out. A card game that involves models. I hope you keep us updated on this, Patrick.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby Lucyth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:45 am

Oh and PS, the models are unbelievably purty. I would love to spend hours painting a psychotic teddy bear and I don't have to 'rinse and repeat' like I'm going to have to do with my IG.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

Postby Drool_bucket » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 am

I am always up for increasing my collection of 30mm figures. And since I've been painting my DH guys, which are all singular models (opposed to very similar looking units of models) I like the idea of only have 4-6 models to paint.

Out of the five lines of models I am most partial to the Outcasts. While my New Orleans accent would be pathetic while attempting to play the goblin hog-farmers I have never run a "swarm" type army, which they appear to be.

how cool is this guy?
and seriously, I can have a dude with a banjo and bottle of moonshine?

but what really grabs me is the Viktorias

I've never been a loser who only needs to paint little metal women and live out transgender fantasies on the tabletop, but I'm willing to give it shot.

They might be a little boring in a world of Samurai-Punk-Zombies(SPZ) and Demonic Teddy bears, but I like the models.

The other dude that really catches my eye is Nicodem and his above mentioned SPZs....

Sometime let me tell about the Town of Stoneham's Animal Control Officer who is appropriately named "Shovel Guy"....
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby DAPatrick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:03 am

Drool_bucket wrote:I've never been a loser who only needs to paint little metal women and live out transgender fantasies on the tabletop, but I'm willing to give it shot.

No, You've always got other people to paint them for you so that you could live out your transgender fantasies.

But yeah, the goblins and their pigs look funny, but I hear they can be rough and random to play. I do like the Viktoria's.

The great thing about this game is that there are only a handful of factions that I have little interest in.
"I can't place the guy, and I don't remember anybody being a total cockmunch at the event, but man... everything that guy posts just rubs my rhubarb the wrong way... "
DAPatrick

Postby afeinman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:19 am

Drool_bucket wrote:I've never been a loser who only needs to paint little metal women and live out transgender fantasies on the tabletop, but I'm willing to give it shot.

I'm sure if you work hard enough, you can eventually become a loser who only needs to pain little metal women...
afeinman
Dr. c.f.
Dr. c.f.

Postby stormboy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 am

I am digging the Victoia's and the Death Marshals.

Unlike Ian - I will openly admit that painting up some metal chicks and playing them on a table top would be cool.

Long ago I played another game based on cards and it was a ton of fun.

I may try this - but not for a while. I need to see what is happening with my living situation and that has a big affect on my wallet.
NobleSavage wrote: I put on my purple pants and hulked-out a bit there.
stormboy
Minister of Bacony Goodness

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

The investment into the game is very minimal. You 30.00-35.00 you can get everything you need to play. The game is really fun, and the card aspect to it makes for a very different gaming experience.
Inquisitor Wall

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:25 pm

ARISE DEPARTED THREAD.....

So, just as a heads up to my fellow forum readers and those few Malifaux owners out there.

Book 4 just hit the shelves, Storm of Shadows. It's the lightest book that Wyrd has put out for the game. Light as in actual weight and as in content.

It introduces a New Faction, Ten Thunders. That gives us six unique factions. It also gives us five more Masters, one of each: Guild, Arcanists, Neverborn and Resurrectionists. All of these are Dual faction. Then it gives us Misaki, former Outcast Minion, as a Ten Thunders Master.

Two new rules... Dual Faction models. Four of the new Masters and some of their minions are Dual, meaning they can count as either. It also gives us rules for Mounted and Unmounted models. So far we have one in the game, McCabe, and Indiana Jones type character.

It's also pretty light on actual Minions to expand the game, but some of them are pretty awesome. The floating head with digestive tract still attached is pretty amazing.. but the best has to be the Gremlins based off of Kurt Russell's character, Jack Burton, from Big Trouble in Little China. Mullet and all.

I've been heading up to Myriad Games in Manchester, NH, for some Malifaux gaming, but obviously, would love to play with some of you guys...
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Bruce_of_Bruce » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 am

geek.....
looks like fun.....
like confrontation..... was
"Fuck you"

~ David Mamet Pulitzer Prize winning American playwright~
Bruce_of_Bruce
God Save the Queen

Postby Jonasty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 am

Just recently joined the threads but I'm a huge Malifaux fan and player. It's actually how I found out about DM, Ian found me through the Wyrd Minis forums and let me know about the group.

I know Ian is interested in getting some games in but I'm curious if there's anyone else that has the minis and is interested in the game. Or if you don't have them but are interested, I can certainly provide some to learn with. I've got a bunch of crews available.

I'm in the Wyrd Henchmen program and ultimately I'd love to run tournaments/leagues for people if there's the interest. And even if not, I'd just like to play the game with folks. So let me know!
Jonasty

Postby DAPatrick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I have waxing and waning interest over the years. I haven't picked up the latest ruleset adn haven't got any of the new plastics but run a traditional Red Chapel gang. I also have the workings of a Guild gang in the boxes as well as some nightmare edition LCB and Teddy's that I am intending on getting to at some point soon.
DAPatrick

Postby Drool_bucket » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Well, more than a few guys own some models... but we got into the game just as Rising Powers was coming out and it died off pretty quickly. So even guys who have Malifaux stuff won't have seen anything of Book 3 or 4.

As I said earlier, I am not down to the Eagles for a few weeks yet and have a Blood Bowl game to clear up. But after that I will be happy to meet and play Malifaux.

Maybe just seeing some games of it played will peak some interest.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Drool_bucket wrote:As I said earlier, I am not down to the Eagles for a few weeks yet and have a Blood Bowl game to clear up. But after that I will be happy to meet and play Malifaux.

Maybe just seeing some games of it played will peak some interest.

Psyched to get some games in with you. And yeah, I'm hoping that maybe seeing the game played again might help stir the pot so to speak.
Jonasty

Next

Board index Discussion Malifaux Discussion