Malifaux 2.0

Through the Breach, and we're not talking about a glory hole...

Re: Malifaux 2.0

Postby Jonasty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 am

Zombie wrote:How is modeling handled in this game. As far as I can tell each model is considered a cylinder based on it's base and height, so I would think that conversions and epic basing could be fine with people.

Conversions: From an "official" standpoint (like if you were going to play in Wyrd run tournaments at GenCon, etc) the models would pretty much need to be as-is essentially. For most non-Wyrd tournaments (run by Henchmen, etc) no more than 33% of the model can be built from pieces/bits of other games' companies models, although it really depends on the person running it as to what they allow. Me personally if I'm running something I could care less how much is conversion. The big thing regarding conversions that is mentioned in the official documents that I happen to agree with is that the model needs to be visually easily identifiable as the mini your running. If you're using Perdita (a wild west gunslinger style Master) and you bring out some tentacled monster as "her", that'd be a bit much. :) But it's also not a WYSIWYG style game either.

Epic Basing: The rules are set around the base sizes of the models, so you'd want to make sure that if the model's standard is 30mm then he's played on a 30mm. That being said, you can go crazy with what's on the base, have stuff hanging over, etc. The models' Height is actually a printed stat on the card, so if you wanted to go crazy and base a model that had them overall 6 inches above the table, that'd be fine because the mechanics are captured on the card itself. The game doesn't use True Line of Site, so everything has a height value assigned to it regardless of the actual height of the mini/terrain.
Jonasty

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am

Cool, That pretty much what I thought. I donno it with these models I would even want to convert anything on but I'm sure if I did it it would be more of a pose change to the model so that they are doing something cool.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah Wyrd's mini line was what got me interested in the game in the first place. They're slightly smaller in scale from the GW stuff and so require a little more prescision/patience but they're totally worth it once you get the paint on them. I've been meaning to start a thread on the Painting forums here with my mali stuff, I'll get around to that at some point soon.
Jonasty

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Is the beta not testing all the models or are they eliminating some? I'm looking at cards for the beta and there are some models not listed that I see on their website.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Zombie wrote:Is the beta not testing all the models or are they eliminating some? I'm looking at cards for the beta and there are some models not listed that I see on their website.

There are two waves for the Beta.

the first wave (current) is all the models from Book 1 of Malifaux, plus a few extras including 10 Thunder Masters and others, some additional Gremlins and Outcasts...

The second wave, which will come out after GenCon will include rules for every other model that they have produced in the Malifaux line.

The only exception to this is Misaki and Hamelin, in the sense that they were Minions in Book 1 but got elevated to Masters in Book 4 and 2, respectively. All that really means if you bought the original models for them (which I did) you use them as Masters now, not as Minions, so the models are still "in play"

Any models in particular you are missing on trying out?
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Mainly I'm looking at the models that look cool to me. I like the look of the Exorcist and Witchling Handler but neither has a card yet. I may order up the Sonnia box, thought I like her Alt sculpt better.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Zombie wrote:Mainly I'm looking at the models that look cool to me. I like the look of the Exorcist and Witchling Handler but neither has a card yet. I may order up the Sonnia box, thought I like her Alt sculpt better.

Yeah, both of those models were Book 2 (I think 3 for both) or later... so there rules will come out just after GenCon. (Sept 1 I believe)

Sonnia's box is a metal box, so my suggestion would be to snag an Exorcist and Handler if you are wanting to paint some stuff up. I would hold off a month or so on getting Sonnia... if only because she may be getting a new plastics at the end of this summer. I say a month because things should get a little clearer. Now, mind you, this is only if you don't care for the metals...

You can check out some of the upcoming, plastic release, artwork by peeking at the full versions of the Stat Cards, bundled in with the rules you've downloaded. Maybe you like that look more (I think Sonnia with Mask is badass....)

But, whatever you decide, I am psyched that you're giving the game a whirl...
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Metal does't bother me but if there may be new sculpts I may wait on buying anything for a bit. Though when you get the itch it's hard not to.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Zombie wrote:Metal does't bother me but if there may be new sculpts I may wait on buying anything for a bit. Though when you get the itch it's hard not to.

tell me about it.

I am currently snagging some of the current metal models I really like, especially some of the non-Masters that I will probably have more than one on the board and there's only once sculpt of, like both the Exorcist and Handler in your case... couple Arcanists in mine.

Plus, I don't care for some of the preview artwork, like the Ortegas are just plain stupid looking, IMO.... so if I was going Guild, I'd be grabbing the metals.
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Ya I may grab a few single models to paint for now. I like Sonnia's alt model with the fire but am very curious what is up with that metal mask.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Drool_bucket » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Zombie wrote:Ya I may grab a few single models to paint for now. I like Sonnia's alt model with the fire but am very curious what is up with that metal mask.

directly from the fluff.... the new book (released at GenCon) should shed the complete light on it.

But up until now, Mdm Criid is the Chief Witch-hunter, tasked by the Governor-General with hunting down all unlicensed uses of Magic in Malifaux... and in many cases turning the Arcanists into Witchling Stalkers.

However, since Book 1 she's been doing a little investigating on the side and has learned a great many things about Malifaux and the previous "inhabitants" of the world. She's come into direct contact with some very powerful beings called "Tyrants" and has taken on some extreme powers... powers that the Governor General is not too keen on.

I'll have all my books on me so you'll be able to look through them and find a few of her stories. The way Wyrd does it is to include fluff, rules and model stats into each Book. And with the release of Malifaux 2nd edition, they have stated they are moving the story forward approximately a year... so things are different....
TAFK
Drool_bucket
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 pm

As far as the sculpts, Wyrd has already confirmed that they will be re-doing every metal mini in plastic with new sculpts at some point. Some will be out as soon as GenCon but others might take a bit. So if you like the metal sculpt of the mini you could snag it now. But if you think something looks kinda horrible, then you could wait. One thing also is if you like any of the current plastic minis that are out, they've basically said they won't be redoing those as they already fit with the new asthetics so you could pick those up as well.

I've got the old Sonniia but I'm actually gonna attempt to paint her face to resemble the mask as it just looks so badass.

Yeah I can't wait to read the new fluff and I need to check out your books Ian at some point because I only have 3 and 4 and have missed the opening stuff.
Jonasty

Postby Zombie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:06 am

Jonasty thanks for the demo the other day. I have a much better idea of the game now and it looks great. I ordered a few of the metal models I liked and am gonna wait to see the new plastics on the rest. Hopefolly i can make it down on thursday again.
Zombie
Mindless Soul
Mindless Soul

Postby Jonasty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm glad it worked out and we had a pretty good game. My first experience with 2E and I had a blast.

I'm local so any time you're interested in getting another game in let me know. I've got tons of crews to mess around with. And hopefully Ian's push will get more of the Eagles guys dusting off their stuff and we can start doing actual events, etc.
Jonasty

Re:

Postby Lucyth » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Drool_bucket wrote:Fred and Cody both have Pandora and now people jump on The Dreamer?

To be fair, I also have a Nicodemus crew as well. And Collodi. So. I guess DM is a bunch of sick, evil pervs.
ryltar wrote:I would hate to disappoint your cock Ian.
Lucyth
Mr. Religion
Mr. Religion

PreviousNext

Board index Discussion Malifaux Discussion